Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Troubleshooting - Engine Replacement Opinions

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2017, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting - Engine Replacement Opinions

2004 Suburban 1500, 5.3L Flex Fuel Engine. 196K miles. Code 0300 and 0305. Verified spark, fuel, and compression at idle of 160PSI. Leak down test in #5 cylinder is less than 5%.
#5 cylinder holding 35 PSI at open throttle I believe suggests a lower engine internal failure consisting of either rounded cam lobe or faulty or sticky push rod. Planning to replace the engine with a long block unless the Forum has other suggestions. Am I missing something? Any experience with re manufactured engine company's is also appreciated. Thanks to the Forum!
Old March 29th, 2017, 6:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

So #5 has very low compression and OK leak down. Not sure how that happens.

I assumed that the 160 psi was on the other 7 cylinders w/ TB held wide open and all plugs removed. At idle confused me.
Old March 29th, 2017, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, all cylinders tested between 155 PSI and 160 PSI. Leak down test was performed with #5 at TDC fully seating both valves. The fact that it resulted in less than 5% leakage suggested to me that the valves were seating well and held pressure. Re-installing the compression gauge and performing an engine running compression check and opening the throttle resulted in the drastic reduction in compression. My belief is that either the push rod is sticking a cam lobe is rounded. Either way, I surmised it is a lower engine failure (cam or push rod) and a worthy candidate for replacement.

Originally Posted by 73shark
So #5 has very low compression and OK leak down. Not sure how that happens.

I assumed that the 160 psi was on the other 7 cylinders w/ TB held wide open and all plugs removed. At idle confused me.
Old March 29th, 2017, 8:45 PM
Administrator

Never heard of running a compression check w/ the engine running so not sure what your results mean.
Old March 29th, 2017, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

That's funny since I never did either until last week when I was advised to do so. Apparently it's used to narrow compression failures between the heads and below. Seemed logical and the fault is consistent.

Originally Posted by 73shark
Never heard of running a compression check w/ the engine running so not sure what your results mean.
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Let us know what you find when you tear it down.
Old March 30th, 2017, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

I doubt I will open it up. Planning on replacing with a re-manufactured long block from one of the large national re-builders.

QUOTE=73shark;335929]Let us know what you find when you tear it down.[/QUOTE]