Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Please help! 95 G20 suspension

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! 95 G20 suspension

Hi everyone! I'm doing new upper and lower balljoints and tie rod ends on my van. Everything went off without a hitch except the passenger side lower balljoint. My husband did an oopsie and stripped the threads on the new joint so the castle nut can't go on. Knocked it back out and got a second replacement joint but now the hole seems to be stretched as the new one fits very loose. No hope of pressing this in in any way. My plan was to replace the entire control arm for this but I can't find one anywhere! What do I do?! My poor van has been on the stand going on three weeks now Apparently my model with hydro boost brakes is less common since I am being told this is the reason I'm having a hard time. Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer.
Old March 29th, 2017, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock Auto can ship you a new replacement or you could contact a salvage yard and have one shipped to you probably with a good ball joint.

Nonetheless you should not have a problem getting a reasonably priced replacement.

Best of luck.
Old March 29th, 2017, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for the response. I have already checked RockAuto and they don't have it. Any suggestions on big salvage yards I should try? I have already looked locally and found one available and it had to be shipped here. It showed up Monday but the ball joint in it was welded (badly) in place. I'm thinking whoever owned that van might have had the same problem I have. ?
Old March 30th, 2017, 8:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this on Ebay : PASSENGER RIGHT LOWER CONTROL ARM FR FITS 77-95 CHEVROLET 10 VAN (check the specs, says it will fit G20)

PASSENGER RIGHT LOWER CONTROL ARM FR FITS 77-95 CHEVROLET 10 VAN 417694 | eBay

Plus you can search on Ebay for any arbitrary used part of any car, take note of the recyclers business (website) offering the part, then call them to inquire if they have the control arm you need, you'll see companies all over the country.

Here's another one :

77-83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 CHEVY VAN 20 R. LOWER CONTROL ARM FR | eBay

Last edited by Twscarp; March 30th, 2017 at 8:56 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 7:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never fails.. www.car-part.com
Old April 7th, 2017, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you all!

I've been trying to post this all week but somehow or another locked myself out of my account and couldn't figure out what I had done lol. Anyway, I took you guys advice and did an online search for used parts. I came across that car-part.com that was just mentioned and hit paydirt! Had one at a junkyard a few hours from here and he shipped it to me. I got it yesterday and got the new balljoint pressed into it with no problems. I just gotta swap out the arms now, today, and I should have her back on the road. Thank you ALL so much for the help!!!
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update. Most visitors here don't come back and tell us the outcome.
Old April 8th, 2017, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by greenfire
Thanks for the update. Most visitors here don't come back and tell us the outcome.
​​​​​​Wow I bet that is annoying! I just know that if I helped someone I would want to know what the outcome was. Besides, up and disappearing is a terrible way to make new friends LOL!