Notices
Silverado DIY and Useful Threads This section is for Do-It-Yourself articles and other informative FAQ threads. If you would like to submit an article, contact a member of staff!
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

How to change a multifunction turn signal switch in a '95-'98 model

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2015, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for this useful information

This was very helpful, I kept my Galaxy tablet with me and used this step by step. Thank you.
Originally Posted by northey87
12. Now to disconnect the old unit. You may need to take the plastic wire tape off the bundle of wires going down the steering column into the dash so you can get the wires out. You can do this carefully with a pair of scissors. You will now need a 7mm socket or nut driver to undo the bolt holding the plug together (12-1). Once you have unbolted the plug, you can then precede to unplug the plug block (12-2). Now un-clip the two plug strips from both sides of the plug block (12-3). There is also a pair of wires (green and black) that go to the flasher unit that you will need to unplug. Just follow those two wires to the flasher and then un-clip the plug then unplug. All the wires coming from the turn signal unit should be free (12-4).

(12-1)

(12-2)

(12-3)

(12-4)

13. Now you can finally remove the old/broken unit. Use a letter "V" torx driver to remove the top bolt (13-1). Then using the same driver, you can unbolt the lower front bolt by inserting the driver between the steering wheel and the steering column (13-2). It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel to get the second bolt out, but if your model is somewhat different and you cannot get the torque driver through the opening then you may need to go ahead and remove the steering wheel. Once the unit is unbolted, just lift and the old/broken unit will come out.

(13-1)

(13-2)

14. To install the new unit, just go in the reverse order and put things back the way you took them off.
Old December 10th, 2015, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, I'm VERY new to this vehicle and fixing anything on a vehicle that doesn't involve spark plugs, but due to recent events, I figured I'd save myself some money and learn how to do these things myself. So, question, do I have to take the airbag out? Is that essential? Also, the ignition, does that have to be removed as well? I'm only inquiring bc I saw a few YouTube videos that left that stuff alone and would appreciate the input ☺️
Old September 22nd, 2016, 3:07 AM
CF Beginner

Helpful suggestions - I learned a lot from the info - Does someone know where my company can locate a sample MBC Congregational Self-Study Form form to fill in ?
Old May 6th, 2018, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Question

So I have a 96 Chevy Tahoe and the hazard switch is broke and all the gauges started acting up it was during the winter but now summers here and went to turn on the AC and the button doesn't turn on. So is it because of the hazard button which is screwing up all my all my gauges or should I just try a different control box.
Old May 24th, 2018, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Perfect!

(13-1)
[FONT=Verdana][ATTACH]15032[/AT

14. To install the new unit, just go in the reverse order and put things back the way you took them off.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for this post! I had no issues following this post and changing the multi function switch assembly today in our 1996 K2500 Suburban while the husband had to work. I was able to help get some things done so we can still head out for our camping trip on time tomorrow morning. Again Thanks for posting.
Samantha

Last edited by Samantha Zimmerman; May 24th, 2018 at 8:33 PM.
Old June 6th, 2019, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by northey87
12. Now to disconnect the old unit. You may need to take the plastic wire tape off the bundle of wires going down the steering column into the dash so you can get the wires out. You can do this carefully with a pair of scissors. You will now need a 7mm socket or nut driver to undo the bolt holding the plug together (12-1). Once you have unbolted the plug, you can then precede to unplug the plug block (12-2). Now un-clip the two plug strips from both sides of the plug block (12-3). There is also a pair of wires (green and black) that go to the flasher unit that you will need to unplug. Just follow those two wires to the flasher and then un-clip the plug then unplug. All the wires coming from the turn signal unit should be free (12-4).

(12-1)
Attachment 15028

(12-2)
Attachment 15029

(12-3)
Attachment 15030

(12-4)
Attachment 15031

13. Now you can finally remove the old/broken unit. Use a letter "V" torx driver to remove the top bolt (13-1). Then using the same driver, you can unbolt the lower front bolt by inserting the driver between the steering wheel and the steering column (13-2). It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel to get the second bolt out, but if your model is somewhat different and you cannot get the torque driver through the opening then you may need to go ahead and remove the steering wheel. Once the unit is unbolted, just lift and the old/broken unit will come out.

(13-1)
Attachment 15032

(13-2)
Attachment 15033

14. To install the new unit, just go in the reverse order and put things back the way you took them off.
I think I’m having trouble with the bolt in the plug box . The plug box won’t come out. It’s like it’s stuck or something. Thank you