Notices
Silverado DIY and Useful Threads This section is for Do-It-Yourself articles and other informative FAQ threads. If you would like to submit an article, contact a member of staff!

How to put Tahoe or Suburban Bucket seats in a 1988 through 1998 pickup

Old August 9th, 2009, 8:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow How to put Tahoe or Suburban Bucket seats in a 1988 through 1998 pickup

In this thread I will be showing you how to Install Bucket seats from a Tahoe or suburban years 1988 through 1998. Take a look at the finished product below. Sorry about the poor quality picture I took it on my blackberry!

1)Remove 60/ 40 split or bench seats. There are Two bolts on the driver side Two bolts on the transmission tunnel and 4 bolts on the passenger side they are 15 mm bolts. Take the seats out of the truck.

2) Set the bucket seats in the truck. On the driver side line the left bolt holes up with the left holes in the floor pan and take a paint marker and draw a dot on the two right side holes. Remove the driver side seat. Take the passenger side bucket seat and line the back two holes up on the seat with the two back holes on the floor pan. Remove the passenger side seat and continue on to the next step.

3 ) Now look at your paint marker dots. Drill the holes out where the paint marker dots are. I drilled a half inch hole and used 3/8 1 and 1/2 inch long bolts with washers and lock washers. You might find that on the driver side right rear bolt hole where your paint marker dot is there is a torque bolt already in place. If this is the case you will not have to drill a hole only remove the bolt.

4) Set the seats in there and line up the holes. Put the fiteen millimeter bolts in and tighten them down half way. Put the 3/8 bolts through the hole with a washer. Have a buddy get under the truck and put a washer , lock washer, and nut on and hold it while you tighten it. Do this on all four holes. Now if you had the torque bolt in step 3 just replace that bolt in the hole. If you have power seats go on to step 5 if not you are all done!!

5) The driver side will have 3 wires for the power seats two hots and a ground. The passenger side will have two wires also a hot and a ground. Cut the factory plug off and splicee the wires. Now for the (black wire) I drilled a hole in the seat frame and grounded it to that. On the driver side conect the two red wires to eachother and run them up to the fuse box on the driver side. For the single red wire run it up to the fuse box also. Connect all three wires to eachother then connect a jumper wire with a fuseable link so you do not burn your seat motors up. COnnect them to the fusebox. I connected it to the radio fuse so the seats only have power when the ignition is on. Try to hide the wires under the door trim panels to make it look good. You are now all set! I will be adding soon on how to add the center console in the middle when I put mine in!
Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 20810
Size:  19.4 KB
Old October 20th, 2009, 8:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw your post about changing seats in a 98 chevy. i have a 95 z71 and the drivers side appears to be loose from the frame. the bottom of the seat leans back to much from the left side. the frame is mounted firmly to the floor so it is where the seat mounts to the frame but i can't see where or how it is attached. can you give me any pointers?
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Suzuki-Guy,

Since i cant post a new thread yet (new member) after reading your post i thought i might ask you....

i have a dashboard from a 09 Tahoe that i would like to put into my 09 Silverado. i have an LT model with the "work truck" dash board and really like the look of the LTZ or the Tahoe dashes. before i try this myself or pay someone to attempt, i didnt know if all the wiring, AC and all would match up??

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

Nice information provided.

Last edited by gaush007; July 27th, 2010 at 7:16 AM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Where do your seat belt buckles bolt to? A bolt that goes through the floor? or what? Im gonna try this my self.
Old December 9th, 2010, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

and does it matter what year taho and sub.?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Sweet !!
Old June 24th, 2016, 3:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default Back seat swap

I want to swap the back seat in my 95 blazer to a tahoe/ suburban bench. i want to be able to have the bottom of the seat pull up like they do in the tahoe for amp storage. is this possible?