Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

00 silverado hard starting

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2006, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 00 silverado hard starting

I had a similar situation with my 2000 silverado. I changed the plugs, and the gaps seemed to be off. After new plugs, Starts right up. Don't go too cheap on the plugs either. Hope this helps.
Sully
Old September 8th, 2007, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

I have had the same problem. Once the engine starts there is no problem and it runs great. I have also checked my pressure after the truck has sat for overnight andI found the fuel rail is at 0 psi.I would thinkif thefuel system is tight the pressure would stay on the fuel rail after the engine is turned off. I have thought the fuel pump is allowing the pressure to bleed off back to the tank and it may need to be replaced but that is alot of work on a hunch. I also don't think the injectors are leaking because there is no indication of flooding.
May someone out there knows - should the pressure bleed off the fuel rail after the engine is turned off ?
Old September 8th, 2007, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

chevytalk.org very knowledgable
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

i just recently experienced the "Hard Starting"on my '00 2500 (6.0). There has been a very annoying hesitation/no power situation from a dead stop acceleration. Mechanic found that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was bad (fuel in the vacuum line)which was overloading the engine with fuel. I still have a slight hesitation problem from initial acceleration, but it is no where near what it was. I may have a vacuum leak or a TPS problem.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 7:14 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pressure should stay constant for a while then very slowly fall but not to zero. Look up the thread for "Scope' in silverado I explained how to test for where your pressure loss is
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
CF Active Member

Change the fuel pressure regulator. if there is gas there when you pull off the vacuum hose, that's the problem. I promise. If it don't fix it, send your hate mail to my address:

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC

Ask for Barry. Feel free to punch me in the face.
Old September 24th, 2009, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

*Update*
I had the mechanic replace the fuel pressure regulator and still had the "Hesitation" from Off Idle. I tested all the sensors for continuity and the voltages at each wire. Nothing was showing up as bad. Eventually, I borrowed a MAF sensor from a buddies truck and "POW", it worked. No more hesitation and now it runs like a Chevy should....Yeah for our team.