Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

starter grinding

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter grinding

Hello everybody. new to the site! any way, i am having an issue with my starter grinding against my flexplate! vehicle is a 72 c10, motor is out of a 95 c1500. i dropped the motor in about a year and a half ago and everything was fine. one morning we get in to start it and it makes an aweful sound. after pinpointing the issue we have been messing with it since.
i have replaced the starter 2 times and just put in a new flexplate about 8 months ago. all has been fine until a couple of weeks ago the problem has come back. now no matter what i change it still grinds. i tried shims but no go.
i did notice that the bendix is sticking sometimes and wont dissengage. my plan is to redo it all over again, but was looking for some advice.
Old September 26th, 2011, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

you might need a few more shims, if the bendix is sticking. or try using shims on one side of the stater
Old September 27th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure all your batt cables are clean and tight.
Old October 4th, 2011, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

does any1 know if these flexplates are prone to warping or any other failure? the engine runs fine once i get it cranked? could there be other problems associated with why i am constantly messing with this one area?
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fattest1here
does any1 know if these flexplates are prone to warping or any other failure? the engine runs fine once i get it cranked? could there be other problems associated with why i am constantly messing with this one area?
i have heard this problems with the flexplate are real. my 94 w/t 4.3 l had the problem, a cracked flexplate. the grinding was at the converter cover.comes as you acelerate and goes away once it balances itself. like that until the crack gets to big, then it will not engage. i was able to replace mine by only sliding the tranny back.
Old October 6th, 2011, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

yeah i am not droppin the trans again to do this. i do not have the cover on mine. also i wish i could even get the damn thing to start. i know for a fact that some of the teeth are messed up. i might just have to tow it to my place and get it in the garage so i can be on level ground, and mess with it then.
Old October 6th, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fattest1here
yeah i am not droppin the trans again to do this. i do not have the cover on mine. also i wish i could even get the damn thing to start. i know for a fact that some of the teeth are messed up. i might just have to tow it to my place and get it in the garage so i can be on level ground, and mess with it then.
you may have someething else all together then, no cover and still grind, and teeth missing,plus no starting?. it sounds more like a different problem. it should start with no problem, the only thing is the tranny will not engage.i would start checking on the starter first.go on from there.

Last edited by julosibia; October 6th, 2011 at 2:09 PM.