Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

01' Silverado steering column/passlock?

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2013, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' Silverado steering column/passlock?

Hey guys need some help here, now first I have done a lot of research and looked over the forums but still stuck...

Background.
- 01' silverado, just replaced the steering column, (junk yard) seems in good shape.
- Truck now will not start, or even turn over... now the security light was flashing, and I read the manual procedure to reset this and left the key on for 10min, then off then back on, repeat... nothing

- Everything I read seemed to point to the passlock, so I cut the yellow wire and stripped the black got an ohm reading to maybe just put a resistor in.. I measured the ohms but have not gotten a resistor yet.

NOW here is where I am at.... I wanted to give the reset another try, so hooked the battery back up, put the key to on, security light comes on but for a much shorter time than before, when I turn the key off, then back on the security light does not come back on... truck still doesnt start... To get the obvious out of the way, I did connect back the passlock wires prior to trying this....

Any help is appreciated... Im dead in the water now... Thanks in advance!
Old December 28th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have new keys cut and programmed. they old programmed keys will not work with the different column. been there, done that. you can't program the old keys to work with the new column either. You will need new keys.

at this point you may even need a vtd relearn.

put all the wires back to the way they were.

Last edited by tech2; December 28th, 2013 at 9:31 PM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

These are just standard keys nothing to program, that's why I'm confused with all this.
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

if its that vintage, change the passlock sensor located in the ignition cylinder as the sensor is not learned to the theft deterrent module. Or have the dealership do a vtd relearn.

Last edited by tech2; December 29th, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

I just put the old lock cylinder in and used the old wiring harness, still nothing... The security light does not flash or even come on... Any thoughts?? Thanks
Old December 29th, 2013, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator

and body or powertrain codes setting?
Old December 30th, 2013, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

got it to fire up yesterday... So here was the issue, when I put the junk yard column in I used the wiring harness that came with it... thought I just had to do a reset... well turns out it was missing a wire thats why... now I stated previously I put in the old wire harness and it still didnt work.... Thats because I used a combination of the old harness and the new... well after looking closer side by side I noticed that wire missing, hooked it up and fired right up....
Thanks for the responses and trying to help... I apprecaite it.