Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

03 silverado low oil pressure warning at start up.

Old December 7th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 silverado low oil pressure warning at start up.

Looking for a little info on a oil pressure problem. or is it???

03 Silverado 6.0 gas 2x4 crew cab long bed

I run royal purple 5w 30 full synthetic oil.
I was in the mountains last weekend and the truck sat in 10-25 degree weather for about 3 days.

my engine pressure normally reads between 35-60ish according to gauge.

when I went out to start my truck the first time I payed close attention to make sure to watch the pressure gauge come up to normal. ( it did. no lag)

I let the car warm up for 20 minutes. Shut it off while I loaded the bags in the truck got in after about an hour.
When I started it this time the oil pressure gauge stayed at 0 and a chime sounded. The information center said engine oil pressure low.

I carefully listened to the engine and heard no unusual noises. So I revved the engine slightly and the gauge started to operate as usual.

It now does it every time I start the truck.
I took my chances and kept my ears open and drove 5 hours home.

I figured pressure sending unit. So I replaced it ($40 orileys) No change.

I changed the oil filter not the oil. Its only got about 1k on it. No change.

Now in stuck...

Any ideas?

Thanks Kevin

Last edited by Crew Cab Kevin; December 7th, 2010 at 9:17 PM. Reason: add info
Old February 24th, 2011, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem,my truck sound great but I have a low warning light and chims going off tried a new filte,what can I do?did you fix it?
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil press

If you drove it 5 hours the oil press is probably OK but to make sure I would hook up a mechanical gauge just to see what is going on. If all looks good its probably a gauge sticking. This is indicated by the fact it did it when cold. I had a gas gauge that got to where it wouldnt go down below 1/4 of a tank when cold. Got a refreshing walk one morning at 15 degrees.
Old February 25th, 2011, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Changed the oil filter,maybe it was a calaps, oil filter was good ,put on a mechanical pressure gage and had 3 psi at idle and 14 psi at 3000 rpms, changed oil pump and tha mechanical gage read the some 3 psi at idle and 14 psi at 3000 rpm and the crank bearing looked good,and the pick up seal looked good what to do?if the cam bearing where bad would I see damaege to the crank ?
Old February 25th, 2011, 1:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I agree with OW, what may be the problem is the gauge on the cluster may not be good. It is just a stepper motor in some and solely a rheostat in others. I had a car like this with the constant bad fuel measurement. I never got stranded because the light and the gauge worked independently of each other.

But if you add a mechanical gauge you can really see what your pressure is. Or you can have your cluster fixed.
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Default oil press

Something weird going on here it cant be everybodys engines are worn out. Take a look at the post by jonhan,below.
This would be a good situation for a leak down test but I doubt if anyone has the equip or even knows what one is anymore.
Old February 27th, 2011, 2:42 AM
CF Beginner

Since your recomendations I have done oil flush in hopes that I will push anything out from the line but to no avail !!! Considering to take a look at the timing chain for any wear,running out of thinngs to do to it might have to change
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Default oil press

There are complaints like this all over the place and they all seem to trace back to the 6.0 engine. I would check with a dealer to see if they have figured it out. The tech departments arent that great but some time someone at a dealership will stumble on a solution and relay the info to them, then some suit throws his chest out and gets a bonus for it.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have had Similar problems with oil pressure being low until warmed up. I use royal purple in all my vehicles also. You might want to check the pickup tube/ screen. I've had two Chevy vehicles with bad o-rings on the pickup tube go bad causing low suction to the pump. Just a thought!!
Old April 10th, 2012, 2:00 AM
CF Junior Member

There is also a oil filter bypass valve to protect the engine and the one in your truck may be stuck open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 silverado low oil pressure warning at start up.