Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 Silverado bose problem

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2009, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Silverado bose problem

New member here and I have searched high and low for this answer so I am hoping you guys and girls can help out.
04 ext cab LT everything, but the sun roof.
Short summary, my factory rear speakers, base box quit working and the key ding works intermittently. I have removed the center console tested all the capacitors on the bose amp and nothing is testing bad. Do any of you have any idea as to what this issue could be, for some reason I do not think it is the bose amp, but have no way of verifying this.

Second part of the question: is it possible to bypass the amp and use the same wiring to hook up another amp using the factory head unit?

BOSE amps suck in vehicles, my opinion they don't last, I have spoke with several folks that have all kinds of issue with the sound in these chevy's with the bose amps.

<O</O
Old October 28th, 2009, 4:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi tdog69,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Here's a couple things to chew on. First, that chime is linked with the dataport for your system, and if it's intermittent, I'd bet even money it's the culprit.

I've got an 04 Crew Cab LS, and the CD player in this truck was replaced once under warranty, and was starting to go again before I put in the Clarion I'm using now(you'll need a dataport adapter for ANY aftermarket radio you install, because GM in it's pre-bankrupcy wisdom saw fit not to include an accessory station with your ignition on these trucks, regardless of HOW MANY options you have)

BTW, the nickel GM spent on the factory speakers for these trucks was WAY TOO MUCH. What happened? Did the GM audio design engineers lose a bet, or something? The speakers blew(for SQ, brand new,IMHO) just after the truck got out of warranty.

Do yourself a favor. Get a real CD player, AMP, and speakers, and save yourself the ag of having to listen to that factory dung for even one more minute. Just re-wire the WHOLE THING, from the head-unit to the speakers. I did, and now I can crank my tunes with respectable SQ and volume.

I'm not here to brag about particular stereo components. At OnLineStereo.com and a few others, you can get many nice quality aftermarket audio components you personally prefer at half to 70% off list price, if you can install it yourself. The selection of high SQ components is huge.

Find what works for you, your ears will be glad you did.

There's a great selection of double-din head units, all with built-in EQs. (unfortunately you'll still need a dash adapter-Metra sells them) You'll also need a GM antenna adapter. I got a 4-channel AMP, but if you want subs, you may need something different. A good set of speakers will make the system sound better than your home system, I kid you not.

Last edited by therewolf; October 28th, 2009 at 5:27 PM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 5:59 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tdog69
New member here and I have searched high and low for this answer so I am hoping you guys and girls can help out.
04 ext cab LT everything, but the sun roof.
Short summary, my factory rear speakers, base box quit working and the key ding works intermittently. I have removed the center console tested all the capacitors on the bose amp and nothing is testing bad. Do any of you have any idea as to what this issue could be, for some reason I do not think it is the bose amp, but have no way of verifying this.

Second part of the question: is it possible to bypass the amp and use the same wiring to hook up another amp using the factory head unit?
BOSE amps suck in vehicles, my opinion they don't last, I have spoke with several folks that have all kinds of issue with the sound in these chevy's with the bose amps.

<O</O

I'd be willing to bet that the speaker leads are green...pull the speakers out and have a look
Old June 22nd, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I am not sure but I have the same stereo in my 05 Chevy suburban and I spilled a small glass of water on the console and the speakers started making funny noises and now they do not make any noise at all ever. Sounds like poor design. any ideas?
Old April 19th, 2015, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Bose amp

I have a 2005 avalanche LT with the Bose system the stock radio shows that it's putting out sound however nothing gets to the speakers so I bought a new deck put a new deck in it it does the same thing then I got a different aunt just like the stock sub an and plugged it in and it still won't work shows that he's putting out sound but nothing gets to the speakers