Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Size of torx socket to adj headlights on '98 truck?

Old September 19th, 2013, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Size of torx socket to adj headlights on '98 truck?

Well the brilliant engineers at GM force you to buy a torx socket to be able to adjust your headlights. (Clearly this is a tactic to force consumers to go to the dealer and pay a guy $110 an hr to do a job that anyone should be able to do--so not one bit happy about this "screw the consumer" mentality by GM's managment). So I bought a socket set for $20, and guess what - neither the E8 or E10 work that comes with the set I bought. (there is no E9 in the set).

So a simple job that should have taken 10-15 minutes of my time, now has over 2 hours involved after the trip to Sears to buy a torx socket set for $20 and my headlights still are not adjusted...

So is the torx socket to adjust the headlights metric or another size? Any help would be helpful.
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its a T15 Torx
See attached procedure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1998 head lamp aim.pdf (273.6 KB, 3855 views)
Old September 20th, 2013, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your assistance. Well being there was so much dirt inside the recessed torx that I could not even tell there was torx T15 recessed for a torx driver to fit inside the head (it is a combo for both a driver and socket), as before I could only see the outside splines being a torx socket would fit.

I still will need the socket size as when I placed a T15 torx driver into the head--it shattered the cheap metal torx head [not the torx driver--but the head itself literally fell apart (not stripped) when I twisted the torx handle] as the head crumbled into pieces. The heads fell apart on both hedlight set ups. Really? GM used to make durable parts, so this is really chapping my hide...

So I need the correct torx socket size which I asked for to begin with and get lucky that the torx head will hold up or otherwise I have to buy a whole new headlamps assemblies for both sides which is riduculous having to do so for a 15 YO truck because of inferior metal was used for the torx heads.

Last edited by GMtruckGuy; September 20th, 2013 at 1:53 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The only thing I find is the reference to the T15... and no reference to the Torx socket, just for reference and for anyone else to chime in you need the black socket one pictured size, correct?
Attached Thumbnails Size of torx socket to adj headlights on '98 truck?-1-t-type-torx.jpg   Size of torx socket to adj headlights on '98 truck?-3-e-torx.jpg   Size of torx socket to adj headlights on '98 truck?-security-torx.jpg  
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

The middle photo is a torx socket. Photos left and right are torx drivers.

The head accepts BOTH a driver and a socket. But like I mentioned the inner teeth of the head broke off. So if I had the outher torx socket size I try that. BTW I tired the E8 and E10 Torx socket, 1 is too big and 1 is too small. So wondering if it's a metric torx socket or a E9 socket???
Old March 24th, 2016, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is an old thread but just in case someone is searching for this info
I linked in here from a google pics search on torx sockets. The socket your trying to find is actually a 12 point 1/4 inch standard socket.

I changed my standard Sierra headlights with some Denali projector lens type and they needed adj.

One thing to notice the Denali headlights adjustment section on the rear of the headlight body is weak and they will crack/break off. [On the original GM headlights, I wanted original lights not the chinese cheap knockoff crap]. That's how I got mine so cheap for $100 for the set and pristine clear lenses then epoxied them back together and covered them with X-Pel Headlight Protection film. 2 yrs and the x-pel is working and lightly sandblasted but can be replaced in a few more yrs without degrading the original lens. No yellowing and the x-pel is harder than the headlights plastic it seems so I may be able to get 5+ yrs before I need to repair anything, maybe up to 10 yrs. [your mileage may vary ]

Last edited by Gunsaw; March 24th, 2016 at 4:18 PM. Reason: bored
Old October 29th, 2018, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default For headlight adj

Originally Posted by GMtruckGuy
Well the brilliant engineers at GM force you to buy a torx socket to be able to adjust your headlights. (Clearly this is a tactic to force consumers to go to the dealer and pay a guy $110 an hr to do a job that anyone should be able to do--so not one bit happy about this "screw the consumer" mentality by GM's managment). So I bought a socket set for $20, and guess what - neither the E8 or E10 work that comes with the set I bought. (there is no E9 in the set).

So a simple job that should have taken 10-15 minutes of my time, now has over 2 hours involved after the trip to Sears to buy a torx socket set for $20 and my headlights still are not adjusted...

So is the torx socket to adjust the headlights metric or another size? Any help would be helpful.
12 point socket works and an allen wrench works. My coworkers get mad because i use a ratcheting t handle allen to ajust headlights