Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

coolant what type

Old July 11th, 2011, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant what type

Doing my yearly prevented maintance on my rig... this year it's belts, all hoses, plugs,wires,cap,rotor. so my question is a simple one I hope, my ride is a 98 2500, 5.7 vortec, silverado ext cab... the coolant is the Orangish color. So do I go back wtih orange, or can it be mixed with another, if so which color? I have seen containers in stores that state mixes with all types..but I dont beleive everything I read. but if I need to reflush and refill then ok, currently the coolant is clean, and tests fine... any advice???
Old July 12th, 2011, 8:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't mix...bein orange its probably dex-cool and if you mix with dex-cool the fluid will get all gummed up inside the hoses and you definitely don't want that. but if you're doin a flush and fill then you should be able to use any coolant.

but im pretty sure that the green coolant is usually used for cars and the orange is for trucks because of its coolin properties
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
CF Active Member

So i can only get the Dex-cool Orange from GM??
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't have to if you're doin a flush...if you do a flush then use whatever you want. i just know that the orange is for trucks and green is for smaller vehicles. you don't have to use orange BUT i would stick with it
Old July 12th, 2011, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, thanks.. I really want to put back what came out,,, Orange... Is that a dealer only item or can I get the orange from an auto parts place.....
Old July 12th, 2011, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally World (walmart)sells Dex-cool
Old July 13th, 2011, 5:18 AM
CF Active Member

Tks....
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by usmarine0905
Ok, thanks.. I really want to put back what came out,,, Orange... Is that a dealer only item or can I get the orange from an auto parts place.....
You can buy Dex Cool or Prestone (both orange) at your local Autozone. They sell it in 50/50 or 100%. You'll have to mix the 100%. I use Prestone in my 97 5.7 1500. Never had an issue so far. (original owner)

I believe you can mix the Dexcool and Prestone as long as they are both orange and the correct mixture.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

I wouldn't change the coolant just to be changing it. If it tests good then it is good.

The color is just a dye, so be careful when buying. All antifreeze/coolants are glycol based either Ethylene or Propylene the major differences are in the corrosion inhibitors.

To dispel rumors:

According to the DEX-COOL manufacturer, "mixing a 'green' [non-OAT] coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine."[20] DEX-COOL antifreeze uses one of two inhibitors: sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid), which works well with the hard water found in the US, but is a plasticizer which can cause gaskets to leak.[14]
Read the Wiki for more info. Take note of the GM DEXCOOL lawsuits.
Old July 15th, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

thank you everyone... I am going to catch, strain, and reuse my antifreeze,Dexcool.. when I change out my hoses this weekend and just top off with the same product...Never had an issue with my truck...255K.... runs strong..perfect runner. Just replaced the starter last weekend, it was the original....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant what type