Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

09 silverado 2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2012, 1:03 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 silverado 2wd to 4wd conversion

hey all. i just recently baught a 09 silverado 1500 2wd.ive been doin some research on converting it to 4wd. most of the info ive gotten ppl have said its not worth the trouble doing it yourself an its really expensive to have someone do. now i think im in a different position and was hoping for some feedback on what youd do in my position. the truck i baught was my grandfathers who has passed. it was an arizona vehicle and is ablolutely 100 percent spotless inside and out. he baught it brand new for 34k. he passed away and ive now taken over the payments and plan on keeping the truck till it dies. i got a hell of a deal on the truck. it still only has 26k miles on it and all i have to pay for it is whats left to pay it off which is 9800. now seeing how the truck has that low of miles and how i want a newer 4x4 so bad, i feel that itd be worth dumping some money into having it converted.i will be having someone else convert it because im not very good with vehicles. what do you think? i feel the truck has a ton of life left in it so itd be worth it. also would the 4wd system once done be as dependable as one off the lot? and also how much do you think the conversion would cost me? thank you in advance for your time and feedback.
Old July 5th, 2012, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible to do it? YES! Will it be expensive? HELL YEAH!!!!

If your heart is stuck on owning a 4wd, then buy a 4wd truck, don't try to convert a 2wd into a 4wd.

What you might consider is converting it into a Baja type truck. There's a name for them, it just escapes me at the moment. Improve the suspension, better wheels & tires, etc... The 4wd look on a 2wd truck.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 3rd, 2023)
Old July 6th, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Active Member

I've had both 2 and 4wd. Enjoy the 2wd for what it can do for less. Posi the rear and call it good. Watch for a 4wd at the right price and time IF you find something the 2wd can't do.
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

I agree, to convert that truck into a 4x4 will be WAY more money than if you purchased a another (equivalent truck) already equipped with 4x4. Think of it this way. If you only owe 9800 on a potentially $20 -25k truck, then you have $10-15k equity in it. Use that $10-15k equity as a down payment on a clean, low mileage 4x4 truck. You may find you will have to pay slightly more than you are paying now.

Typically identical trucks differ by $5k additional for the 4x4 option. You will pay WAY more than that to convert your existing truck to a 4x4. Not to mention all the incidental problems that most certainly always arise from doing a major mod to any vehicle. I truly believe you will be much happier with buying a truck that came stock with a 4x4 system vs a custom install.

I hope this helps you

Eric
Old July 7th, 2012, 3:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have no idea what you're getting in to.

Go buy a 4x4 if that's what you want and leave the nice truck the way it is.

Allan
Old July 7th, 2012, 5:05 PM
New User

well thank you all for the info. this really helps out a lot. sounds like ill be looking out for a good used 4x4. thanks again!
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Active Member

Np, Happy hunting!!
Old January 18th, 2014, 2:54 PM
New User

Hey man, I'm in the same boat you are. I was given a 2008 crew can Silverado 2 wheel drive. I would have loved to have a 4x4 but knew it wasn't worth it. Iv recently lifted it 3.5" and put it on 35" toyo mud terrains. Truck looks and ride great, made the best of what it was. The baja style is called a "pre-runner" and it's as off-road as a 2 wheel drive can get. Off-road in it is no problem as long as I'm not just slogging through a swamp. Make the best of the truck you have.
Old January 18th, 2014, 4:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that once. Never, ever again.

Allan
Old May 24th, 2015, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Suck it.

Quick Reply: 09 silverado 2wd to 4wd conversion