Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pink coolant pouring out.

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2015, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pink coolant pouring out.

(Slightly unrelated to the problem.) Today, a friend and I were servicing my AC system. Everything was going smooth up until I walked around to my passenger door and noticed a pink fluid dumping onto the ground at the back of my motor. Couldn't get under my truck to see where the spill was coming from without taking some fluid to the face.. I shut my truck off and the spill slowed to dripping and eventually stopped. The fluid is pink, but smells like coolant. I add DexCool and I am well aware of the problems it carries with gaskets..

I've had a WP issue before.. But it was nothing like this, coolant was pouring out from somewhere on the back of my motor and the WP has been replaced a few months prior with new gaskets, sealant, and bolts properly torqued.

I've heard some things about the Transcooler within the Radiator, the color of the fluid made me think of transmission fluid, yet it was watered down and smelled like coolant. Could there have been a crack and those two fluids mix? If so, I may be out of luck with my seals in the trans if coolant has flown through it. I only put it in gear to move it into a suitable parking spot and left it there.

All the threads I have seen so far have all been talking about WP issues and what not... I doubt this is a WP issue. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I didn't look into the hoses and have already replaced one of my disconnect fittings at the firewall.. I did do a quick inspection and found NO fluid whatsoever around those fittings, or on top of the motor... I have no idea where this leak came from.
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Picture that I took after this happened.
Attached Thumbnails Pink coolant pouring out.-20150712_210935.jpg  
Old July 13th, 2015, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like coolant to me. It would be a rare for coolant to get in the trans and a oil/water mix would be easy to spot

Your probably going to have to start it up and find the leak. Since you were working on the ac it's most likely something simple like a cracked overflow tank or the hose getting pulled loose.
Old July 13th, 2015, 3:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen the freeze plugs develop pinholes and shoot a stream of coolant out when running. When not running, they may not even drip any since the hole is so tiny.
Old July 13th, 2015, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, the best plan of action is to check the hoses. May have knocked something loose while taking the AC lines off to replace the seals..

I keep hearing about the freeze plugs now. I've also done some research and have asked a couple of guys about the pink antifreeze. Dex Cool may come in either orange or pink, but I know that I added orange after I changed the WP. Then I hear that when added with water, the orange color may change a bit and seem pink.

Thanks you two. I'm going to check the hoses when I get a break at work (since my truck is inop in our parking lot lol) if I don't find anything loose or damaged... I suppose the freeze plugs are my next best bet.. The issue with trans fluid and coolant mixing is a bit far-fetched and i've never heard of it happening.. But with my luck, that could very well be the issue. I'll poke around when I get the chance.
Old July 13th, 2015, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

dexcool is orange not pink. Did they put an aftermarket coolant in...does what came out match what's in the reservoir?

The only time I've seen pink fluid in a gm is from trans fluid and coolant mix...so is the trans fluid over filled on the stick? Hope it's not a bad rad cause it's almost impossible to flush that out of a trans without tearing it down.
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several brands of red dex cool on the market.
Attached Thumbnails Pink coolant pouring out.-0938.05_zerex_dex-cool_rtu_5l_372x190px.png  
Old July 14th, 2015, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, the Dexcool I added after changing my WP was definitely orange. I've heard that you can buy a pink dye Dexcool from the factory, however. The orange dye they put in Dexcool breaks down when water contacts it, it also poured out in a hangar floor so the white background gave it more of a pink look.

The issue was one of my heater hoses located by the condenser line, my buddy moved it over and the quick connect came undone. Luckily it wasn't a serious issue..

Thanks for the advice though guys.
Old July 14th, 2015, 6:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by burnhedge
Several brands of red dex cool on the market.
yep, aftermarket fluid
Old July 14th, 2015, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ponder0828
The orange dye they put in Dexcool breaks down when water contacts it
seriously? It must be a 50 year process.

Quick Reply: Pink coolant pouring out.