Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1979 c10 wont start

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2013, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 c10 wont start

I have a 79 c10 that was starting properly. I adjusted the wheel tilt and it wont crank now and makes no sound. I have power and tested the battery but could the starter have gone out that quick and the tilt was a coincidence? Maybe something in the ignition came loose? Please any input would help
Old August 21st, 2013, 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

It sounds more like a short in the steering column than a bad starter. Maybe a bad wire from the ignition or the little syleniod (pardon the spelling) or actuator there under the wheel.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 5:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the rack and pinion at the key-switch is broken (probable) or the ignition switch is toast.

There are no electrical components for the starter inside the column. Just that actuating rod from the rack and pinion assembly.

Allan
Old August 22nd, 2013, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

I've been messing with it and it seems like it is in the ignition somewhere. Possibly just the ignition cylinder or switch. Guess its time to pull the steering wheel.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1979 Chevy C10 ignition help

My 79 C10 isnt starting. I have battery power but cant get power inside the truck when i turn the key. I pulled the steering wheel and put in a new ignition cylinder. The mechanical parts seem to be working but no power and no start. could it be the ignition switch or would i get some power if it was bad? Thanks for your help
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Do you have power at the switch? Check for power from battery down to your starter, and then be sure you have power at the main ignition lead (at the battery). If so, move up to the ignition switch and test for power there.

If you dont...you know the problem starts before your ignition switch.
If you do, then something is wrong with the switch or the way you installed it possibly.

Follow the path of electricity but always start at the battery!
Best of luck to you.
Old February 26th, 2020, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default 79 Chevy Ignition

If im not mistaken doesnt your 79 have a full time hot block area mounted to the firewall ubove the distributer area ? ,My 79 Dually does and there is a couple fuseable links that are located there and feeds power to some main circuits and id check there for power loss. Good luck !
Old February 26th, 2020, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default 79 wont start

hey im sayin Alans on to something hes right about having just a "rack" or rid thats actuated by turning the key switch ! Now you could have as Alen stated bent or broken the rack assembly or it very possible that your after fixing the tilt issue that you need to adjust the starter switch thats located on the lower column assembly as that is the only electrical assy for starting that veh by the key cylinder and csn be adkusted to stroke farther as to operate that switch for start mode !
Old February 26th, 2020, 12:50 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

try turning the key while moving the tilt up and down. its really a common problem
How-To: Fixing a Sloppy GM Tilt Column.