Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 9:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Maintenance Schedule question for 2008 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Schedule question for 2008 Silverado

I have a 2008 Crew Cab Silverado, 1500 with the 5.3L engine. I have about 40,000 miles right now and am curious to what maintenance service I should have done or do? I have just been changing the oil and doing tire rotations every 7,000 miles or so. I took it to the dealer today for another basic oil change, 4 tire rotation and 27 point inspection. They asked if I would like to do the basic service package(swap trans fluid, clean injectors, oil change, and tire rotation) but they want $435.00!! Is it just me, or is that too expensive?? Also, what kind of "services" you guys recommend getting the done? And any place to do them cheaper? Thanks for the input.
Old September 21st, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

if you tow with it I would do a trans fluid. if you don't tow you could wait another 20,000. I would say you don't need your injectors cleaned. The dealer most of the time will do a great job, but they will charge you top $$$ for it.
Old September 21st, 2010, 8:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds a bit pricey!

I'd do the tranny now - if you tow or do a lot of "stop and go" driving, but would wait another 10,000 to 20,000 miles if you drive it gently. If you get it flushed out, see if your shop offers a "BG" service. That is good stuff!

If you use decent motor oil and change both it & the oil filter every 3,000 miles, your truck will last a long, long time. I recommend a bottle of "STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner" be added to your fuel each time you change the oil (or roughly every 3,000 miles or so) - which will negate the dealer having to charge you enormous amounts of money for a cleaning later on.

When you hit 100,000 miles, THEN get a "BG" fuel injector service. It'll be worth every penny you pay. I had it done to my 2004 Silverado at 76,000 miles - but only because I bought it used and did not know when (or if) it had ever been done before.

With 40,000 miles on your truck, check your front brake pads, in-cabin air filter (if you have one) and replace the engine air cleaner element. Inspect your fan belt(s) and top off all the fluids (brake fluid, washer fluid, etc.) and be sure none of your bulbs have burned out. GM vehicles seem to eat light bulbs faster than any other make - and I have no clue as to why.

Good luck with it! My used '04 Silverado is doing well for me - with 83,000 on the clock - and I am a Ford guy who never owned a Chevy truck before! That 5.3L rocks. Mine has ~300 hp (thanks to Flowmasters) and sounds great, but your '08 should have 315 ponies at your disposal.

Take care of your truck and it will take care of you!!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi mmjsport,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

A Chiltons or Haynes manual for your truck is @ 15$ at any local parts store.
If you prefer DIY, the book describes everything in detail.

For a small investment in time and tools, you can save hundreds. By being well enough informed about your vehicle to pick and choose what you want done by a shop on your own terms, you can save thousands.

Many of us have taken the first step and never looked back.

And we're also here to help(and be helped by) you.
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks alot you guys for your responses. I don't tow anything, I have a few times (3 or 4) though. I think I do need to swap my front brake pads soon. They seem like theyre getting worn out, any recommendations to which ones are best for the price? Also, how much longer do you think my tires are going to last if I have 40,000 on them. They look okay to me. And yes JK23112, 315 ponies, and enjoying every one of them :-)

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As to tires, regular rotations are the key. My OEM Bridgestone E rateds went 65K, and had another 10K or more in them when I changed them out.

I find it easier to do tire rotations since I got a 3/4 ratchet setup.

If you do use an air gun, use it to LOOSEN ONLY.