Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1981 Chevrolet C10

Old April 28th, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Chevrolet C10

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions about my 1981 Chevrolet C10. First, I guess I need to give a bit of background on the truck. About 3-4 years ago, my brother was taking the truck out and he said it just turned off on him. I'm not sure if the truck locked up, had ignition problems, etc. I had recently purchased a 1998 Z71 and was busy putting all the money I had into that new truck so I let the '81 sit. The truck has been in my family for 3 generations and I am now trying to restore it to its former glory. I haven't really gotten in the truck and messed with it since it quit working.

I'm not really sure where to start when trying to get it fixed. I am on a limited budget and am using this project as a learning experience. I have all the time in the world, as I'm not trying to get it ready for anything in particular, however I really do miss driving the truck and want it running again. The body, interior, and everything else is fine. As far as I know the engine is the only thing that has issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where would be the best place to start? Any other threads I should look at on here, or links to websites that may help in my quest? Thanks for your help and I look forward to showing pictures of this project as I go along. Also, I'll be putting up pictures soon of my '98.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charge her up, see if it'll turn over. Change the oil and all the fluids. That's a start.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi nrider,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

The HEI distributors are prone to the grease under the ECU drying out, which burns out the ECU unit. They have kits to replace the Cap,Rotor,and ECU all in one at some large
parts stores.

If the truck has been sitting around that long, I'd gamble that's the next logical step.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

THEREWOLF may be on the right track with the HEI. My 86 Silverado had the HEI's PRIMARY COIL go out. One minute running fine then ZILCH. The vacuum advance gently moves the leadin wires on this coil back & forth til finally they fatigue and one of them opens up. Results no juice to the primary coil hence no spark out of the secondary coil. Check this coil by using an ohm meter. just unplug it from the module take the reading. If you get continuity the coil is probably good. As far as the module goes your local parts store can check it out for you.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Old April 29th, 2010, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, sounds like that could have been what happened in the very beginning. I'll be moving the truck to my new house next week and will give this a try. I'll also get all the fluids changed and the battery changed. Thanks for the help and I'll keep everyone posted.