Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 4.3L ajusting roller hydraulic lifters

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1988 4.3L ajusting roller hydraulic lifters

Hello, I just bought new small block and heads w/valve, spring, push rods and roller lifters(NO Rockers)! We got it all together and now I have no clue how to adjust these hydraulic lifters! Dont mean to sound like such a newb but this has me puzzled. All I can find is info on adjusting v8's hydraulic lifters . I need some info on adjusting this v6 4.3L, can anyone help me out, I really want to get this truck up and running! Thanks Rmitch47
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove rocker arm covers as described under COMPONENT REPLACEMENT AND REPAIR PROCEDURES/ROCKER ARM & PUSHRODS.
Crank engine until mark on torsional damper is aligned with ``0'' mark on timing tab and engine is in No. one cylinder firing position. Ensure engine is in No. 1 firing position by placing fingers on rocker arms of No. 1 cylinder as timing mark approaches ``0'' mark. If rocker arms are not moving engine is at the No. 1 firing position. If rocker arms are moving, engine is in the No. 4 firing position and should be rotated one revolution to the No. 1 position.
Adjust the following valves with the engine in the No. 1 firing position: exhaust 1, 5 and 6; intake 1, 2 and 3. Adjust valves by backing off nut until lash is felt at the pushrod, then tightening nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating pushrod while tightening nut. Fig. 14. When all lash is removed, tighten nut one full turn to center pushrod in lifter plunger.
Crank engine one full revolution until mark on torsional damper and ``0'' mark on timing tab are aligned. This is the No. 4 cylinder firing position. Adjust the following valves: exhaust 2, 3 and 4; intake 4, 5 and 6.
Install valve covers and related components
Old April 21st, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks for the quick response! Im going out there right now to set it up. I cant believe how hard it was to find this info on the web. LOL Again thanks alot, Rmitch47
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Question

well got it adjusted and now it has rough idle, poor acceleration, and I have timing mark set! Should I readjust the rocker after truck is heated up? btw I reguilt the carb to. The brake light stays on all the time and servive engine light comes on to! Im at a lost can you give me some advice, sorry for all the questions. thanks rmich

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Remove rocker arm covers as described under COMPONENT REPLACEMENT AND REPAIR PROCEDURES/ROCKER ARM & PUSHRODS.
Crank engine until mark on torsional damper is aligned with ``0'' mark on timing tab and engine is in No. one cylinder firing position. Ensure engine is in No. 1 firing position by placing fingers on rocker arms of No. 1 cylinder as timing mark approaches ``0'' mark. If rocker arms are not moving engine is at the No. 1 firing position. If rocker arms are moving, engine is in the No. 4 firing position and should be rotated one revolution to the No. 1 position.
Adjust the following valves with the engine in the No. 1 firing position: exhaust 1, 5 and 6; intake 1, 2 and 3. Adjust valves by backing off nut until lash is felt at the pushrod, then tightening nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating pushrod while tightening nut. Fig. 14. When all lash is removed, tighten nut one full turn to center pushrod in lifter plunger.
Crank engine one full revolution until mark on torsional damper and ``0'' mark on timing tab are aligned. This is the No. 4 cylinder firing position. Adjust the following valves: exhaust 2, 3 and 4; intake 4, 5 and 6.
Install valve covers and related components
Old April 23rd, 2010, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Remove the valve cover and start the truck. One be one loose the valve until it taps then tighten it 1 turn. I would be more suspect of the carb then the valves is you adjusted them like it says
Old April 24th, 2010, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Will I think we found the problem! We put new plugs and distributor cap and that leveled it out alot and just heard that that engine has a line to computer that has to be unhooked before the timing is set. Thanks for you input and if you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks Rmitch37
Remove the valve cover and start the truck. One be one loose the valve until it taps then tighten it 1 turn. I would be more suspect of the carb then the valves is you adjusted them like it says
Old May 7th, 2010, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

hey well we got it all taking care of and now we cant find info on the timing setting? Is it 6degrees or zero? Thanks
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

The spec is 0 degrees.