Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1990 Silverado Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8k15009
Haner, I fixed my wiper problem - I replaced the unit with the newer one. It is a direct replacement, plugs right in.
Now if I can figure out why my washers won't work.
Really????? How did you get the new one to work as a "direct replacement" without changing the wiper motor and connectors? I'd like to see a photo of this, and a description of how you did it! Cool!
Old September 16th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8k15009
I have the same problem on my 89 K1500. Crazy wipers randomly pulse, run after turning them off, park anywhere and the washers don't work. I replaced the washer pump and it worked for about a month and quit. I'm thinking there must be an easy fix since nobody is responding.
Are you sure you have the same wiper motor & module that Haner & I have? I bought the replacement module that is called out for our trucks & it positively would not fit my wiper motor. Thank goodness they let me return it. I think Haner & I have a bastard setup that only the GM gods know what we have.
Haner,
I ran the truck whilen it was raining yesterday & the wipers actually worked the way they're susposed to, and I have not smeared anymore grease in the plug. I'm still going to smear some more in there though.
Old September 17th, 2011, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry Haner & flh69 for my poor job of explaining what I replaced. I replaced the entire wiper motor with one that has the "new style" pulse module. It is a direct replacement and it was cheaper than repairing the old pulse module.
Does anybody know what year they changed the connecter on the instrament cluster? My 89 Silverado has a type of spade connecter that is a brass color. I got a cluster from a 93 but it has a pin connecter. I want to replace mine with a cluster that has the factory tach (I have a 5 speed).
Old September 17th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by flh69
Haner,
I ran the truck whilen it was raining yesterday & the wipers actually worked the way they're susposed to, and I have not smeared anymore grease in the plug. I'm still going to smear some more in there though.
That's great, flh69! And from the post of 8k15009, it seems that changing out the wiper assembly works and that, maybe, it isn't that hard to do. I think the fact that your module works the way it's supposed to, means that it is not a bad module, but a bad connection.

Hey, 8k15009, can you give a description of how you went about the wiper assembly replacement.... how long it took, where you got the parts, how much it cost, and a general description of the process? This would help those of us that still have the "bastard" mystery set up.
Old September 17th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Junior Member

[quote= This would help those of us that still have the "bastard" mystery set up.[/quote]
"bastard" is a correct name for what we have. It seems nobody else in the "whole wide world " has what we have.
Old September 18th, 2011, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Sure Haner. Start by removing the wiperarms, then remove the cowl vent (that long black plastic that is under the wiper arms). Mine was a 3 piece assembly, the end pieces and the long center section. Be carefull not to break the long center section, Now you can disconnect the linkage from the wiper motor crank arm, there are two nuts for each arm shaft. Do NOT remove the nut and the crank arm from the wiper motor. Unplug the electrical connector from the pulse module. Remove the three wiper motor mounting bolts and pull the motor assembly from the cowl. Installation is reverse order. I did not time the proceedure, but would estimate not more than an hour. I just went to the salvage yard and picked up the wipermotor/pulse module assembly for $20.00. The assembly can fit from 88 through 98. It's a plug and play. Hope this helps you guys. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by 8k15009; September 18th, 2011 at 6:49 AM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 7:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the process description and other facts. Nice of you to take the time to write it out for us.

Since mine is still working well, I don't think I'll have to do this right away, but it sure will help to know what to do if I do need to replace it. And I'm sure this will help others as well.

Thanks again.
Old January 11th, 2012, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default 88 k2500 wiper and no washer problem too.

New member great site. Thanks for the pics Haner helped a lot.

Down to it. Have the park no delay most of the time problem and no washer! Tried the recall, dealer service tech bulletin 88-51 which is the bulkhead connector clean and re lube might be getting wet. No better.

Seen your post Haner and took the board out and clean and grease the blades on both side of the board. There is no pink cover on mine and under it is a coil and a set of points, cleaned those to. No better.

I put power to the washer motor and it works. I have the wiring diagrams so went under the steering column and opened the connector, white was the only wire hot key on and jumped to the pink going out and pump runs. On that connector going up to the switch is a jumper from the orange to the pink but only white, grey and purple go up into the column?

So is the orange wire the one that powers the pump, there is one to the wiper motor connector. Where is the wire that comes from the switch for the washer and does that mean that the board is bad?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

Bruce
The following users liked this post:
Donivan Deaton (September 11th, 2020)
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey Bruce,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I wish I could be of some help, but I didn't have to get into the wiring at all to fix my problem. Greasing the blades one time has continued to work for me.

I'm sure anything you figure out will be of help to the rest of us who own this strange wiper module configuration. If you find any answers, please post them.

Anybody else have any ideas on Bruce's dilemma?

Thanks!

Haner
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 88 k2500 wiper and no washer problem too.

Thanks for the reply Haner.

I took the Delco part # from your pic and called Delco and they no long list that module only the c one.

Well drove it the other day short trip and the wiper seemed better, hope it keeps going.

As for the washer could not get it to work. For anyone else with no washer I wired a 15 amp fuse in line and a button to the pink wire on the plug under the steering column. Napa part # ech ws1049 pulled the pink jumper out on the 3 wire side and hooked the button to it just make sure your going out the pink wire on the mating plug which is the pump, works good. Did it to get them working as if I have to go to the new motor, module setup just need to plug it back in. Did not enough time to see if the orange wire just had no power or get into testing the switch in the column right now.

Thanks again.
Bruce

Quick Reply: 1990 Silverado Wiper Problem