Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1990 Silverado Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2015, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield module

I also have a 1990 K1500 with the old type of wiper module, has any one been able to find a replacement part, been having the same issue for about a year. My problem come and goes. I will try the dielectric grease as well, but really hate the fact that they don't have these modules available. My try the junk yard just in case..
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Newly Registered

Default 1988 has the same "bastard" setup!

My 1988 has the same "bastard" setup. Same issue with wipers that won't stop, except randomly and usually in the middle of the windshield. I am going to try cleaning the points in the "box" pulse module and greasing the harness contacts. If that doesn't work, I'll try replacing with the 1991-up unit.

Old February 27th, 2017, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another mystery wiper set up

Haner,

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one with this problem. Auto mechanic said he couldn't find the part and couldn't fix. I drove away without any working wipers. Gonna try the grease. Mechanic did say that when he squeezed the module the wipers did work. Hoping the grease fixes my problem!

Blessings,
Chevy Sheyanne
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1988-1994 wiper pulse module

Originally Posted by Haner
I have a wiper problem and have narrowed it down to the pulse module. My problem is the pulse module in my truck is an older rectangular model, not the 'C' shaped one that is readily available at stores and on the net.

Does anyone know how to obtain or repair this older model pulse module?

Thanks.
ok this is solved. Forget finding the square box module which attaches to the wiper moter. Getting it rebuilt will cost twice as much as what I propose. You need to change the whole wiper motor to the newer style. The part numbers are as follows

delay type cardone 40-158

non delay cardone 40-169

you can find both locally at most parts shops. May be a overnight since many don't carry them in Stock. But it's a direct fit for the other style with the external module. I found the complete new style for 36 bucks plus tax. Works fine as well. While you have the upper cover off the arms, take the time to throw some lube on them.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevy Sheyanne
Haner,

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one with this problem. Auto mechanic said he couldn't find the part and couldn't fix. I drove away without any working wipers. Gonna try the grease. Mechanic did say that when he squeezed the module the wipers did work. Hoping the grease fixes my problem!

Blessings,
Chevy Sheyanne
the square pulse module is no longer available. You'll end up buying the newer style and it is a direct replacement. No book will tell you that.
part numbers are as follows.

delay type: cardone 40-158

non-delay: cardone 40-169.

these will have the 5 prong plug as the older add on module took.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Haner
I have a wiper problem and have narrowed it down to the pulse module. My problem is the pulse module in my truck is an older rectangular model, not the 'C' shaped one that is readily available at stores and on the net.

Does anyone know how to obtain or repair this older model pulse module?

Thanks.
solved! They no longer make the module so toss it and buy the newer style wiper motor with built in module.

delay type cardone 40-158

non delay type cardone 40-169.

these both have the Squarish type 5 prong plug with five posts. It's a direct fit and fix. I took the chance today and now I have the wipers back in order. Lube the arms while you have the cover off. Time to do the job. About 45 minutes going slow like the old 76 year old Fart I am.
Old May 28th, 2017, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

hank`s to all who posted on this thread. I have found on these earlier wiper motors that the contacts touching the metal plate on the plastic drive gear are the problem. Use acetone to remove all the old grease, which had turned to varnish on mine and made a contact path across the plastic part where the motor is supposed to stop. I greased the teeth on the gear but didn`t put any on the metal face. Run it a while on high and it should be fine. Also my linkage was dry and may have been making it harder on the motor. So grease the linkage! It had worked the wiper motor bolts loose too. I hope this helps ! Another note is the Chevy LLV Postal truck/van vehicle has a similar control board which is still available.
Old July 5th, 2017, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default My wipers went out on me today

ok so I was driving home this evening in my 93 Chevy Silverado and it started raining. My wipers we're working one instance and then completely froze up and just stopped all together. After managing to get home wiperless, I checked the wiper fuse which was good. So, I went to the good ole internet for answers since I'm not a mechanic. Now, before I go on, when the switch is on you can hear the motor working but nothing happens. Anyways, I've seen all these things talking about the pulse control module. The wiper washers don't work either so I'm thinking this might be the problem. I go to Advance and buy a new one. Come home and install it, nothing. The motor still sounds like it's moving but nothing happens. I see there's a possibility that it could be under a recall. So I've got that call to make. Another place I looked at online said that the it could be the fuse that controls the wipers, turn signals, etc and then there's the possible plan out right could be the motor itself. Some other things to note is that the wipers at times wouldn't turn off when I turned them off and sometimes they would slow down then speed up while working. All I know is that I need wipers. Any advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated

Last edited by JKin79; July 5th, 2017 at 7:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to specify the year and model
Old November 16th, 2017, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed.

Well a magnifying glass, solder gun and some solder, refiled 6 or 7 solder points that where cracked and works like a charm. Yes the square module was recalled and most trucks got newer style (I never bothered) So I advice pulling module and either fixing it yourself or taking it to local electronics guy and paying him/her $50 to check the solders and resolder.. or else $10-$150 for new part and a chore to pull off old motoer off of firewall and linkage behind firewall etc.. not terribly difficult, but the pulling the module and soldering the cracked solders is much easier and faster. Also nothing to lose, since the alternative is replacing anyway.
Old February 24th, 2018, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Hey all, just another 1990 k1500 here with the same problem. Essentially it dumbed down my delay speeds to slow and REALLY FAST. No squirters. Sometimes the truck heats up enough during the summer and they will sometime work correctly for a few minutes. I'm not sure why I haven't seen someone convert our style to the C shaped style, does it require a different plug?

Going to try resoldering... again... Biggest pain ever.

Update: Resoldering failed, again. Probably not getting hot enough. Buying the new style motor and board. Parts Geek has it, it tells you which board when you select the motor. Plug is the same. Hopefully won't have to buy a new wiper/cruise lever.

Also, if someone could explain why the PNL fuse is SO weak?! Any little thing causes it to blow, old o2 sensor, bulbs... and when it blows the back-light for the gauges goes out and I'm driving with a dark instrument panel...

Last edited by JumpStart; February 24th, 2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: 1990 Silverado Wiper Problem