Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

1992 Silverado Brake Lights work/DON'T work HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Silverado Brake Lights work/DON'T work HELP!!!!

I have a 1992 Silverado, 4.3, 2 wheel drive, AC, standard step side. I'm the original owner with 13 miles on it at time of purchase and now have 173,000+. Problem: My brake lights will work at times and they will not work at times. They seem to not work most of the time. What I have done: replaced the brake switch approx. 10 times (!!) (all were functional & properly set [so I think]), checked the bulbs and worked, checked the fuse and it works (good). All other lights work as should with no noted problems. However, my rear blinker (R) did not work some time back which I ended up having to replace the "blinker switch" with new. Resolved the problem. The brake light problem started some time after I replaced the "blinker switch". When my brake lights were not working, my cruise control worked. When my cruise control worked, my brake lights did not work...there were times when neither would work. I had taken it to a mechanic and they could not resolve the problem. What do I do?!!! You can send personal email if desired. Help!!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

What is the part number of the brake light bulbs?

GM had a problem with the early style circuit board that holds the bulbs under the tail/brake light lens. The circuit board was upgraded; and I'm pretty sure they changed the bulb style on the newer board.

I'm thinking 1156 or 1157 bulbs = old board

3156 or 3157 bulbs = new board.

I don't remember when they changed the board. My '88 had the original boards when I got it, the rear lights were goofy, and the new boards cured the problem.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Don't remember the part number for the brake light bulbs. I never heard about them changing the circuit board hence a new bulb. I'll have to look into that. I'll let you know. Thanks!
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default no tail lights break lights 92 silverado

i got a 92 silverado 1500 with 4.3. and 5 speed. The break lights and tail lights dont work when the headlights arent on. When i turn on the emergency flashers they stop working when i hit the breaks. when the head lights are on no tail lights or break lights. It was missing a little bit now its missing something terrible jerking and all, replaced plugs plugs wires and throttle position sensor no luck.
Old April 12th, 2012, 7:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I now use 4114 bulbs for almost everything with less problems than before. Check the sockets that the bulbs plug into for corrosion or damage. There is also a grease to put on the base of the bulb to keep moisture out. Also make sure all the grounds are good.

As far as your truck missing, it could be many things. Do you have a check engine light?
Old April 13th, 2012, 4:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jeffery Allen
When i turn on the emergency flashers they stop working when i hit the breaks.
Normal operation.
when the head lights are on no tail lights or break lights.
Headlight switch or wire harness problem.
It was missing a little bit now its missing something terrible jerking and all, replaced plugs plugs wires and throttle position sensor no luck.
What is the fuel pressure? When was the last time you put a fuel filter in it?

Have seen several TBI-style engines where the distributor cap carbon button under the coil wire was so worn that the rotor melted or the coil wire metal end corroded off. New cap, rotor, and coil wire fixed 'em.

Have also seen that style distributor have problems with the pickup coil.