Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1993 K1500 no spark, no start, tried everything.

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the cam sensor/stator induction coil and it wasnt the issue. Fuel pump relay was preventing it from starting. I changed it anyway and have the old one in the glove box "just in case".
Old June 15th, 2012, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by korelabs
tbi sprays one good burst while pump primes, then alternates back and forth as trying to crank, as it's supposed to do.
coil however does not put spark out.
Do not see how fuel pump relay fixed it based on "no output from coil" and "can see tbi spray fuel"

Fuel pump relay will not stop spark. fuel pump had to work for injectors to spray
Old June 15th, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
That is the pickup coil, did you remove it? If not, you need to pullit, and inspect the whole thing for insulation being intact, they are a pita!
Sorry I was going on you replacing the distributor et. al.
Old June 15th, 2012, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Do not see how fuel pump relay fixed it based on "no output from coil" and "can see tbi spray fuel"

Fuel pump relay will not stop spark. fuel pump had to work for injectors to spray
I dont get it either... But somehow it worked. My guess is just a one off in a series of blown parts. And kevin, no worries. I didnt mean to come across as snide or rude, I sincerely do appreciate the help you two both have given, I really do.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont think it was the fuel pump relay but the PCM relay.
Old May 17th, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Hi im Joe, I have a 193 chevy k 1500 motor was stold, so i got motor from friend , it turned out to be junk it had H E I distributor, so had to make change with jumper wier, but now just put motor in from a 1989 chevy 2500 4x4 put evertything back as it was but now have no spark ,??? What can i do, please help. Joe
Old October 12th, 2019, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by korelabs
was taking my dog to the vet monday afternoon, truck was running beautifully as usual, slowed down to stop at a red, and it just turned off. no thump, no shudder, no stutters, nothing, it was as if I had turned the key off, 255K miles, one rebuild about 100K ago and this is the *only* issue it's ever had, man can this thing pick em though.

Finally towed it home, the button inside the cap was completely scorched out of it, and the housing blackened, found button and spring sitting in the top of the now soot blackened rotor.

I have changed:
new plugs
new wires
new fuel pump
new fuel filter
new cap
new rotor
new coil
new ICM (old one tested fine, I hate taking chances)

What I have tested:
tbi sprays one good burst while pump primes, then alternates back and forth as trying to crank, as it's supposed to do.
stator output is .788v AC, within the .3 to 1.8 tolerances when cranking.

tested new ICM before it left store, then had 2 other stores test it to be
safe.

5A ignition fuse is fine.

coil does receive 12V DC when key is on.
coil however does not put spark out.

I'm lost on this...

Cap pic:

Rotor: little blurry, sorry.
Its the distributor magnetic pickup went out
Old November 13th, 2019, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help!

I have a 92 1500 and it seems I have no spark. I have changed the fuel ump and the distributor. It seems to be spraying fuel as I can see it spray once in a while and it tries to turn over it just doesn’t start.

oh yeh and I’m not a mechanic

Last edited by trafwlr1982@gmail.com; November 13th, 2019 at 8:48 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

take a look Troubleshooting sensors and how to test

could also be the coil

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=29995.0
Old November 9th, 2022, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like the pick up coil is bad. Use a test light to check for the negative trigger from the pick up coil to the ignition coil. Hook test light to negative battery cable check for power to the coil when key is on (sounds like you already did).Now hook test light to positive battery cable and probe the other wire on the ignition coil, crank the truck the test light should flash. If it does not replace the distributer as an assembly. You could take it apart and replace just the pick up coil but based on the age replacing the assembly makes more sense.
Could you possibly list the individual parts you have in mind when you say "as an assembly" please I'm tryin to purchase them and it's not listed as an assembly