Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1993 k1500 runs and then dies

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 k1500 runs and then dies

Hello, My 1993 chevy k1500 has started to give me issues. A little back story, I was in the woods about a week ago when I was low on fuel. I don't know for sure if I was dry, but when I went to head home she fired up, I gave her a little rev up and then died. She didn't start for 5 more minutes and then died right after starting. This went on for about an hour. Once she started and ran enough to move without dying going into gear, I made it 2 miles and then died again and wouldn't start. I added fuel, disconnected the battery and let it set for 3 hours. I made it home just fine after waiting, but once I got home I shut her off and fired her up, no problem. I did this a second time, but on the third try she wouldn't start. The next day it ran just fine until it warmed up a little and died again. Waited and started again then died. The following day she left me stranded, died pulling up to a light and wouldn't start for 1 day, (traveled a total of 5 miles)

Naturally I thought it was the fuel pump, I just finished replacing the fuel pump and filter, but its the same ole song and dance again. After she dies now, the fuel pump will not prime for a while. Is there a sensor that controls the fuel supply? The last vehicle that did this to me was a jeep Cherokee with a back crank position sensor, it told the ignition not to spark. Does anybody have any ideas?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 4:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a classic symptom of a bad coil.

Allan
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default New Update

Today I took a look at all the ignition components. Once the vehicle stops running from dying, it has lost spark and will not regain the ability to spark unless it has set for some time. I will replace the cap, wires, rotor, plugs and coil. Is there any sensors I should be aware of in the ignition system in regards to spark?
Old July 24th, 2013, 5:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil, coil wire, ignition module or pickup coil.

Allan
Old March 30th, 2020, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93/k1500/4x4/5.7L
Today I took a look at all the ignition components. Once the vehicle stops running from dying, it has lost spark and will not regain the ability to spark unless it has set for some time. I will replace the cap, wires, rotor, plugs and coil. Is there any sensors I should be aware of in the ignition system in regards to spark?
there are a lot of components that deal with the spark such as a crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, knock sensor, throttle position sensor, your coolant temperature sensors but does it hesitate when it starts acting up? Like its cutting fuel? Or anything like that, which is a common problem.
Old September 26th, 2022, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default E

Originally Posted by 93/k1500/4x4/5.7L
Hello, My 1993 chevy k1500 has started to give me issues. A little back story, I was in the woods about a week ago when I was low on fuel. I don't know for sure if I was dry, but when I went to head home she fired up, I gave her a little rev up and then died. She didn't start for 5 more minutes and then died right after starting. This went on for about an hour. Once she started and ran enough to move without dying going into gear, I made it 2 miles and then died again and wouldn't start. I added fuel, disconnected the battery and let it set for 3 hours. I made it home just fine after waiting, but once I got home I shut her off and fired her up, no problem. I did this a second time, but on the third try she wouldn't start. The next day it ran just fine until it warmed up a little and died again. Waited and started again then died. The following day she left me stranded, died pulling up to a light and wouldn't start for 1 day, (traveled a total of 5 miles)

Naturally I thought it was the fuel pump, I just finished replacing the fuel pump and filter, but its the same ole song and dance again. After she dies now, the fuel pump will not prime for a while. Is there a sensor that controls the fuel supply? The last vehicle that did this to me was a jeep Cherokee with a back crank position sensor, it told the ignition not to spark. Does anybody have any ideas?
engine runs but then stalls out and won't restart