Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1994 C1500 5.7L A/T Stalls when idiling

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2013, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 C1500 5.7L A/T Stalls when idiling

Problem started earlier this week. I was driving home from work in some traffic, when I would come to a stop the car would idle around 1-200 RPM. Then all of a sudden the engine just stalled. I was able to start it up and drove about another mile and it did it again, this time while I was driving, but coasting(did not have my foot on the gas at all). I was able to coast into a parking lot and tried to start it back up. The engine kept trying to turn over, but wouldn't, just kept cranking. After waiting about 20 minutes I tried again and it finally started. I made it home and talked with a few friends who suggested I change out the fuel filter. I swapped out the fuel filter and went to start up the truck, it started right up. I let it sit in the driveway and just idle and after about 5-10 minutes it just stalled out again. I tried to start it back up and again it wouldn't turn over, just kept cranking. I let it sit for about an hour, it started up. The process keeps repeating. As long as I have the gas pedal depressed eve just a little bit to get the RPMs over 1000 the engine will keep going. When I let it idle it will die. I did notice that my engine temp gauge was not working, wouldn't move at, so last night I changed out the thermostat just to see if the engine is overheating. Same issues are still happening.

Any ideas on what could be the issue, or what to look at next? So far it's just been a new fuel filter, new thermostat, I can hear the gas pump when I turn the key. I don't think the spark plugs have been changed in awhile. But could that be causing the issue? I'm capable of doing most work on the car, just not sure how to troubleshoot the issue.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Need to check the fuel pressure, needs to be 55psi or slightly more, it needs to be stable also and should not bleed down too quickly once the engine is shut off...
Also consider checking the IAC or Idle Air Control valve... it controls the idle at a stop....
Its not as likely but also possible the TPS or throttle position sensor...