Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent starter failure, 5 speed '91 Z71

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Intermittent starter failure, 5 speed '91 Z71

Searched, did not see any likely posts on this problem. 1991 Z71 SWB Silverado, 350 TBI, 5 spd. tranny, 180K miles. I get an intermittent failure to crank. I think it could be one of several problems: Clutch interlock, ignition switch, or bad spot on starter. This is a recent problem. On attempted start when it fails I don't hear any attempt by the starter or its solenoid (assuming that's how Chevy does it). I hear only a "click" sound at the instrument panel. Usually after 5 or 6 tries it will give up and work correctly. Sometimes it seems that the remedy is to push the clutch in harder to hit the clutch interlock. Other times it's just keep trying. It has yet to fail completely and leave me stranded, but when I can I park it facing downhill so I can do a roll start if necessary. I've found the clutch interlock switch but it seems very hard to get to and remove, or even see the wires going to it. I suppose I need to get a second person so I can check for voltage at the starter to rule out both the ignition switch and the clutch interlock. I need to add that I've been into the steering column a couple years ago to repair a sloppy loose tilt column but I don't think that area is likely as it seems it would have failed immediately if I'd messed up the ignition switch connection. Also, starter has been replaced within last few years folllowing a total failure.

Will appreciate any wisdom on this problem as it seems to be getting more frequent - maybe a failure every third attempt or so. It's the intermittent-ness of this that baffles me.
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Next time it happens, have a buddy hold the key in the start position and rap the starter with a hammer. If it starts, replace the starter. Both my 68 el camino 327 and 93 sub 350 had intermittent starter failures. In college I drove the el camino an extra 6 months by virtue of the hammer behind my seat! The sub stranded my wife w/o warning an hour from home and she had it towed to a shop. Just before they spent my hard earned money I arrived with my trusty hammer, gave it a whack and drove it home, much to their dismay. Hope that helps; I have known many chevys that this has worked on.
Old October 11th, 2014, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks, I remember that method now

Rednucleus,

Thanks for the reminder. I have used that trick on a Ford 460 starter but had forgotten it. Will give it a go on the Chevy.

Harry
Old September 15th, 2019, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by xbigblue
Rednucleus,

Thanks for the reminder. I have used that trick on a Ford 460 starter but had forgotten it. Will give it a go on the Chevy.

Harry
To update my original post on "lazy start":

After a couple years of unreliable starting I grew very concerned about being stranded with this no start problem and finally got ambitious enough a few days ago and tore into the steering column once more. I found nothing REALLY WRONG but did locate the starter switch inside the column thanks to a terrific YouTube post. I adjusted its placement slightly and lubed the switch with a bit of white lithium grease. Put it back together and the problem is solved! Now I have a true :ignition key start!

Sadly, I was careless enough putting the steering column back together that I broke a few functions. My turn signals no longer auto-cancel; and I got the steering wheel back on off-center. So I guess it's back into the column again to fix my mistakes But even if I never fix these two things, it was worth it to have a reliable key-start again.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (September 15th, 2019)