Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 C1500 Headlight Switch Knob Removal

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2014, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 C1500 Headlight Switch **** Removal

Folks,

My wife and I are attempting to 're-condition' (clean?) the interior of a C1500 we've had since new (1995) BUT had been loaned out to two of our kids from 2000 until now (14 years). I oversaw (and sometimes did) the regular/mechanical/system maintenance to keep things safe and operational so the truck is solid in that respect but the interior is another matter entirely and our main concern now.

Ever try to clean up the interior of an automobile used for 14 years by a couple of teenagers? Then you know our issue!

Anyway, in addition to a ton of carpet and interior trim/fascia cleaning (and finding some VERY interesting stuff in the process!) I'm stymied on how to remove the Headlight Switch **** for a good cleaning. Does it not just pull off?

The three HVAC control ***** (Blower/Temperature/Mode) on the HVAC Control Head all just pulled off and were able to be soaked in a cleaner to make them right (oh were they 'nasty' - look like New now!) but this does not seem to be the case with the Headlight Switch ****.

Do I have to remove the entire switch assembly to really get at this **** or what? Really enjoying how much progress my wife and I have made at making the interior 'habitable' again so I'm really getting OCD about getting the 'crud' off of the Headlight Switch ****. Would LOVE to pull it off and soak it like I did the others but it doesn't seem to want to 'pull' off. What gives?

Barry
Old March 18th, 2014, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never tried to remove the **** but here is a DIY video on replacing the switch,

Old March 18th, 2014, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richardx2,

Ha Ha! Well THAT is indeed one informative video as it helps me solve one of my next issues on the truck - a simple (hopefully) burnt-out 'Left Turn Signal' indicator bulb in the Instrument Panel (IP) display (the Exterior Blinkers/Turn Signal Switch DO work).

The driver's side Upper Dash Trim/Fascia/AC Vent stuff the guy removes also provides access to remove the IP from the dash for bulb replacement and this is something I will need to do to get at the IP.

Thanks for the input as this is what the forum is all about! It's beginning to look like the Headlight Switch **** is part of the switch assembly itself and may not be independently removable. Hope I'm wrong but other cleaning options are available if this is true. Not to worry.

Really glad to see how this stuff comes apart. You just made things easier for me! Need to get some new L/R Tail Light assemblies (typical broken attachment hook issue) and do the Headlight Lens Restoration thing to knock most of the 'To Do' list out.

After that it's the Parking Brake Cable - looks like a vine from a Tarzan movie hanging from beneath the truck when it's in the Off/Disengaged position (must be VERY stretched) - and then we just might have things up to snuff!

Thanks!

Barry
Old March 18th, 2014, 8:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean, my 95 C1500 is needing a bit of work to get it back into excellent shape, as soon as you get one system to your liking then move to something else. If you have not already done so make sure to look for parts on ebay.