Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 Chevy Truck Won't Start - HELP

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2013, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Chevy Truck Won't Start - HELP

HELP – My 1995 Chevy K 1500 5.7L 4x4 Z-71 has an intermittent “Won’t Start” problem. It has 157,000 miles. Three weeks ago it sputtered and stalled as I drove 2-miles from home. When I tried to a re-start, it sputtered, rocked and finally revved to normal. I put an OBD I reader on it and got code 54. My book says to check Fuel pump, Fuel Pump Relay, Fuel pump Wiring and PCM. I chose the easiest and replaced the fuel pump relay and fuel filter. Over the next couple of weeks I drove over a thousand miles and during that driving it stopped several more times. It would run fine at speed but would stall when I would come to a stop. Each time if I tried to start it, it would turn over but not start. I would have to wait about twenty minutes before it would finally start. Two days ago I installed a new fuel pump. I drove less than 5-miles and at a stop light it stopped again. Once again, it would not start till I waited 20-minutes. I put the OBD I reader on it when I got homein and this time, there were no codes. I went out this morning and now it starts fine but, I am not going to drive anywhere because it will probably stop again and we got our first snow today (no parking on the side of the road). I reviewed several different forum strings of folks that had the same problem. Many of them replaced several ( if not all ) of the sensors including the PCM. One guy even replaced the Distributor and the timing chain. Unfortunately, none of the wright-ups ever said they solved the problem. Anyone have a proven solution? THANKS <o:p></o:p>

Last edited by Tahoetrucken; December 4th, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added clarification
Old December 9th, 2013, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Had a similar problem

Got a 93 with TBI that had a similar problem and threw all sort of parts trying to fix it. Finally was told to replace the ignition control module (I think it was called that). It is a small rectangular shaped module that is located beside the distributor. To access and remove it you must remove the distributor cap, remove the two wires and two screws. After replacing it the truck fired right up and runs great.
Old December 10th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the comment. From suggestions that I received, I replaced the Coil, Ignition Module, Rotor, Distr Cap and Temp Sending Sensor (I had previously replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter). I removed, cleaned and reinstalled all of the engine top sensor connectors. Drove the truck today for a short 5-mile test run and all went well with no stalling. I had a OBD I reader installed and no Codes were set and all readings are in the normal range. Will get braver and take longer runs next week. My concern is nothing I replaced has a connection to stalling at a stop light and turning over but not starting. Still baffles me.
Old December 10th, 2013, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

If it makes you feel any better that is exactly what mine was doing and then after parking it one day it would never start at all, even with a little gas poured directly into the throttle body. At that point I replaced the ignition module and it fired right up and runs fine to this day. This happened a few months ago. I use the truck every weekend to hunt, ride in the woods, go to the dump, and ride up town for odds and ends.
Old December 11th, 2013, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, Glad you got a fix. I'm going to be gone for a week. When I return, I will take it for a longer test drive and hopefully the items I changed will prove to fix the stall - No start problem.
Old December 29th, 2013, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Success!!! maybe. After installing new Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Relay, Coolant Temp Sensor, Coil, Ign Module and Rotor, I have driven 200+ miles with no stalling and it starts quicker than it used to. Hope it goes for another 150,000 miles. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old December 29th, 2013, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

ICM. Had me on the side of the road yesterday.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Old problems are starting again.

Hello all,

My 1995 1500 Throttle Body Silverado 4X4 has been working fine for several months after installing several new sensors and other items (see beginning of thread). It's an OBD I and it started idling rough and losing power and logged a code 42 (Ignition Control Error). I stopped the engine and restarted and the Check Engine Light stayed off. The idle is still rough.

I reviewed the OBD data list and everything looked normal except the IAT which read -40 degree F. I reviewed the Official Chevrolet 1995 C/K Truck Service Manual. Interestingly, IAT is not in the index and the only reference I found was on the Control Module System Block Diagram. IAT was shown as an input to the MAP input to the Control Module.

I am aware that in trucks with true fuel injection the IAT is a sensor that is placed in the incoming air plenum to measure Incoming Air Temperature. So if my Throttle Body K1500 is showing -40 degrees, where is the input to my OBD I coming from. If it is telling the Control module that the outside air temp is -40 then the Module is probably telling the Throttle Body to run rich (rough and lack of power).

Any thoughts? Thanks

Old October 14th, 2015, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 1995 chevy 1500 and i just put a new ignition control module in it and now the fuel pump is not working and was working perfect before would it help if i put in a new distributor in?