Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 GMC Sierra Gas Pedal Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 GMC Sierra Gas Pedal Issue

I just bought a new 95 Sierra and the gas pedal is giving me some issues. It is unusually hard to press down on the pedal. I disconnected the throttle body cable at the throttle body then pressed down on the accelerator and it moves freely, no sticking there. I moved the throttle body by hand and it doesn't seem to stiff.

Things I've noticed:

1. When I disconnected the throttle body cable I can freely move the end of the cable to extend or shorten it where it connects to the throttle body (There is no where to adjust it either). Is this normal?

2. The way the line runs it doesn't have any kinks but does almost a full circle between the bracket attached to the intake manifold and where it connects to the throttle body.

3. The throttle body isn't gummed up so I don't see an issue with it being inside the throttle body itself.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 7:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to ask a stupid question since i did read your post, but have you cleaned the throttle body, especially around where the butterfly pivots and seats against the throttle body wall?

The reason I ask this, is because your post is VERY indicitive of a dirty throttle body / butterfly assembly. The reason you can easily move the butterfly manually is because you are providing much more leverage then via the throttle linkage which is much more sensitive and usually does not provide a lot of force.

If you haven't actually given it a good cleaning, get a good Teflon safe throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush. Spray the poop out of it and use the tooth brush to clean the butterfly pivot points, and throttle body wall. Especially the areas where the butterfly seats (this is while it is at the no throttle position).

I hope this is your problem and not something more problematic.

Eric