Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

1997 chevy 1500 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2015, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up chevrolet 1500 soft or no brakes

This is my experience with my brakes on a 1998 silverado. After installing two new master cylinders, ABS module, brake lines (flex), automated bleed I still had no brake. Hours of trial and error I narrowed my problem down to no pressure or flow at the bleed screws. To be short ..... the master cylinder was not providing any pressure so what to do after two news ones were tried. I decided to use a newer model from a 2000. That's when gm changed the master cylinder in the chevrolet . The difference was night and day. Lots of flow and pressure and my truck has a excellent brake.
Also if truck looses its brake when coming to a stop or driving slow, in most cases the sensors are dirty at the front wheels. To correct this it might be necessary to replace bearing and sensor as a unit.
Hope this can be useful. Regards
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Wonder if a 2000 is interchangeable with a 1995 K1500
Old September 2nd, 2016, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by magnum 49
This is my experience with my brakes on a 1998 silverado. After installing two new master cylinders, ABS module, brake lines (flex), automated bleed I still had no brake. Hours of trial and error I narrowed my problem down to no pressure or flow at the bleed screws. To be short ..... the master cylinder was not providing any pressure so what to do after two news ones were tried. I decided to use a newer model from a 2000. That's when gm changed the master cylinder in the chevrolet . The difference was night and day. Lots of flow and pressure and my truck has a excellent brake.
Also if truck looses its brake when coming to a stop or driving slow, in most cases the sensors are dirty at the front wheels. To correct this it might be necessary to replace bearing and sensor as a unit.
Hope this can be useful. Regards
Hi Magnum,

Was the 2000 MC going into a 1998 a direct bolt in, meaning besides mounting to the booster, are the brake lines same size and threads?
Old December 2nd, 2016, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Brakes engauge

My brake the past few days have been engaugeing themselves it is not a make me stop completely thing but i can feel it want to brake. We had to do work on the brakes me and my dad replaced the passenger side caliper and we replaced the master cylinder and wee bled the front brakes.