Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Silverado P0332 knock sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2008, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado P0332 knock sensor problem

Hey all, been having some problems with my truck the last few weeks. Got a code P0332 2 weeks ago for bank2 knock sensor. I found some tsb's relating to it, they mentioned water getting into the intake valley and that you should replace the sensor. I pulled the intake and sure enough the valley that holds the bank2 (rear) knock sensor was full of water. I replaced it siliconed both caps in place also changed all related gaskets..Since then the code comes back every 2 key cycles and I can't get rid of it. I have checked for vacum leaks(smoked the intake), ohmed the harness and changed the oil. I only have 55,000 on the motor and there are no major engine noises. Not sure if anyone has ever heard of this?? Today I pulled the connector on the pcm and checked the connectin all is good..Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Old March 15th, 2009, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default P0332 Rear knock sensor 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8

I have been having the same problem, ive replaced both sensors and the wiring harness, checked frequency and faults all the way to the PCM all seems fine, but the code keeps coming back, p0332, all i can figure is the PCM has an internal problem and needs to be replaced, however this is costly and not positivly the problem. Im also thinking of switching the wires for front and rear knock sensor so that it, in theory, should throw the p0327 which is the front sensor. this would reassure me that my sensor and wiring is good.

Have you solved your issue? if so, what was the problem?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default knock sensor

Does anyone else have this problem with the 5.3?
If so how did you get it fixed.

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but in all my knock sensor related searches i have yet to find an answer.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Active Member

how many miles are on the motor and what year? I have herd of noisy vavles and vavle clatter setting off the knock sensors. from what I have herd they are very sensitive. when I got my pcm done the had to de-sensitize them becuase the said it would make to much noise under boost and throw codes.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,
I read somwhere that the 5.3 builds excessive carbon deposits on the pistons closing the clearances and causing knock. I guess i will try some seafoam before i tear the intake off again.
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same type of problem. I have replaced both sensors and the harness, then still had the same problem my mechanic said that it has to be the ECM ( down by the battery ) so i bit the bullet and replaced it.40km. later same low input code. what next???????
Old October 1st, 2010, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

will it hurt the truck to drive it with the knock sensor (2) bad??
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
CF Active Member

driving with a Knock sensor code will kill your millage and power, the ECM will be running in "limp in mode" meaning flat timing and fuel curve. I do not know about the LS series engines, but the 4.3l, 305cid, 5.7l, all of the metric 4 & 6 cylinder engines, and all of the mark IV "that is big block old school" the knock sensor goes in the water jacket. ya see water transmits sound better than metal, thus giving the knock sensor better sensitivity. now what you need to do is find the source of the Knock or why the knock sensor is NOT picking up the knock. a short EFI lesson: the ECM is always searching for the best advance and AFR. it will advance the timing until It hears a knock, then It will readjust then start leaning out the fuel looking at the O2 sensor. it does this so fast that you never feel the slight power drop or hear the knock. if it (the ECM) does not hear the knock by a certain advance it will throw a code as well as if it hears it to soon, or abnormally. see if you can get some one with a program or purchase your own for your laptop get it up and running. Then drive the truck, have some else monitor the knock sensor to see which it is. this is what I use http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm hope this helps
Old October 3rd, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Have the same issue on my 2001 Tahoe. It is a good engine monitor tool when it is working correctly and the engine is fairley new, but after you get some miles on the engine it hears alot of normal engine noise that comes with engine age.

Does anyone know if you can by pass the knock sensor with a resistor? simliar to what you can do with the imports.
Old October 4th, 2010, 1:39 AM
CF Active Member

not advised, just go to a heaver oil say 10w-40 or 20w-50 ?????

Quick Reply: 2001 Silverado P0332 knock sensor problem