Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 Chevy Silverado Sputters and Dies

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Silverado Sputters and Dies

As you can see I have a 1998 Silverado Extended Cab (3 door).

It does not want to start. It cranks fine (starter and battery are good), and if we take off the air intake and pour fuel (out of a clean soda can) directly into the [grasps for the right word] we can get it to start and keep running just fine so long as we keep trickling fuel right into the engine.

A couple times (my hypothesis is, after we have built up enough pressure) we can get it to start right up afterwards (getting about 2k RPMs). This was always in the summer and I am not sure if the cold is making our experiment worse.

We have replaced the fuel filter, but am unsure what other parts along the way to the intake could be failing (we're not -too- mechanically inclined).

Since we can't get it running for long we can't exactly take it anywhere. We pulled some fuses to reset the pump, and are pretty sure -it's- working properly.

If you could take some time to spitball what you experts think the problem could be, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[[ Here are other words I know, but I am not sure which could be failing if maybe all of them: Fuel Regulator, Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Line ]]

Last edited by Incomitatum; January 21st, 2012 at 6:32 PM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

I had a 98 Z-71, they eat fuel pumps. If you've never had it it replaced that would be my guess. If it starts after sitting for a while but will only run for a bit that's probably the pump.
Old January 21st, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naw, comon' now.

You're just hopin' beyond hope that the pump is working properly.

It isn't.

Allan
Old January 22nd, 2012, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

What are some tests we can do to be -sure- the pump is not working properly before we go through the hassle of replacing it.

Our next move it to take an air-compressor and blow out the fuel lines since it has been sitting since about 2009 (disconnect them at the fuel filter and blow them in -that- direction (we don't want any "gunk" going into the engine")). We have bought lots of that "Heat" stuff that is supposed to make sure that your gas doesn't turn into a gel, we put some of that in about every night before we work on it (which isn't very often at all).

We can't get the truck to move, and I wouldn't drive it enough if I could, to warrant towing it somewhere to have it fixed. That means we will be doing all the work here. Overall, the worst part isn't the work, it's the price of the pump. I don't really have the coin to drop on a $200 part.

::Edit::
I found THIS VIDEO on how to replace the pump. Looks easy enough, just time consuming.

I did just find that I can get it on eBay for ~$50. I still want to do a test or two of YOUR design to see if the pump is the problem before I do all the back-work. How can I be sure?

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by Incomitatum; January 22nd, 2012 at 6:51 AM.