Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1999 4L80 Transmission issue

Old March 23rd, 2015, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1999 4L80 Transmission issue

Hi all,

I have a 99 K3500, diesel dually crew cab. I just replaced the motor and after putting it all back together the transmission will not engage into any gear. The fluid and filter are new and shows full on the dipstick.

Any ideas where to start?

Thank you.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 9:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by triguy450
Hi all,

I have a 99 K3500, diesel dually crew cab. I just replaced the motor and after putting it all back together the transmission will not engage into any gear. The fluid and filter are new and shows full on the dipstick.

Thank you.
I'm assuming it's an automatic?
When you move the shifter to anything besides Park, does it do anything at all? Does the indicator move? Do you feel the typical resistance of changing gears?
Old March 24th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

the 4L80 is a automatic transmission.

Since its 1999 its computer controlled. if you swapped the motor you probably missed a connection or have a module not communicating with something. Check the fuses, check your connectors, i mean ALL of them, and Try doing a hard reset. (taking battery connectors off and touching them for 40 seconds and reconecting them) trust me it sounds dumb but i have fixed a PLETHORA o Transmission, Engine issues by doing a reset.
Old March 24th, 2015, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Thanks all.

It is an automatic. The indicator does move when I move the shift lever. The engine actually feels like it's trying to load up for the gear selected. The engine RPM drops ever so slightly. I do not feel the transmission trying to "get" into gear in any of the modes. Neutral the engine goes back to idle like it does in Park.

That's what I was thinking, maybe it's a connector somewhere that I didn't secure properly.

I will also try the control alt delete method as well.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Lol... I'm dumb. Duh it's an automatic. Sorry, I guess basic reading comprehension failed me...
Old November 9th, 2015, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by triguy450
Hi all,

Thank you.
my first guess is....you broke the pump gear when you bolted the motor and trans back together.
Old November 11th, 2015, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 4L80e trans that I have just installed(no trans fluid yet) I installed the drive shaft and was going to push the car by hand before putting trans fluid in.The car will roll forward but not backward,the trans shifter is in neutral any Ideas
Old November 17th, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Cool Transmission issue

I realized I hadn't responded to this.

The issue was so simple and so stupid.... When I pulled the engine I put the transfer case in neutral and left it there until the new engine was installed. I completely forgot. I had my mechanic double check inside the pan for correct
component installation, we put the pan back on only to discover the lever in neutral.

Duh.....A real Homer Simpson moment.

The truck has been running very well since I got it back on the road.