Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Aftermarket Stereo Systems

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Systems

So i'm thinking about having an aftermarket stereo installed in my silverado, but would like to know what others have done.

So lets see what you've got.
Old June 27th, 2008, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Aftermarket Stereo Systems

What exactly do youwanna know about aftermarket systems??
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
CF Junior Member

I know that my stock speakers in an 07 crewcab sound like puke (espically the rear ones).
Old June 28th, 2008, 1:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Well i have a basic (stock) stereo.
ie. CD, Cassett, AF/FM.

I had a 6" powered Bazooka tube installed and it sounds it out nicely.

My problem is that it's not loud enough. I want to upgrade the deck to a single din head unit and then throw in some infinity kapa series or pioneer speakers.

I would like to see what others have done.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

well i have four subs.the two rockford fosgates are perfect and blend in with the other speakers. the two jl 13s i have sit on the back seat and i only put those in when i wanna **** the neighbors off and beat down the block.but your best bet is prolly shallow bass 12 or reg 10s
Old July 5th, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Ok i haven't done this for one. just suggestion of what i kinda wanna do. in my opinion i think JL's are the best out there. and Have talked to a guy here in burleson texas. He works at Hotstreets look em up if your close by cause they are good. he said he would build me two individual boxes to house two JL 10" W3 the 08 editions. for about 600 or so. my truck is a scsb and i know for a fact all you would need is two nice 10's to beat down any block with the right amps and speakers. I plan on going with all JL audio speakers in the truck with the two 10's and two Jl audio amps one for each sub. all off my 7" in dash dvd player. Anyone done anything close to this. Or lets here what kind of setups some of you people got who aren't posting.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

I went with all kicker speakers in my truck. I have two amps stacked on top of one anouther under the back seat in the middle.Then I had two individual box's for two tens on each side. One amp for the highs one for the low's, witha double din kenwood deck. And i have to tell you it thumps,and im very pleased those kickers can take a beaten.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added in the Pioneer deck (AM/FM - CD - mp3 plug-in), 2 way pioneer speakers in the front, 3 way pioneer speakers in the back. I'm planning on puttng in a MTX Thunderform sub just for a little added kick... (pun intended). I'm don't want a whole lot of bass, just enough for some of the music that I listen to (like the overture of 1812, Jazz and rap/urban).

The MTX Thunderform will fit exactly under the rear bench and will be color matched to the interior of my truck to blend in...
Old September 12th, 2008, 2:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AM, base line for you is very simple. it is like with anything else. you always get what you paid for. so, you need to establish your budget 1st, then do research of options inside of it. as a money saving tip, you can get some pretty heavy savings off craigslist. don't buy electronics off ebay, taking chances. jcwhitney sells crap. crutchfield is way overpriced.
from that point on - it's all in how much you willing to spend. personal advises will be like this: if joe bought system A, then he'll recommend system A, or it makes him a fool. in the realm of sound, there's only one thing that is for sure: it's all subjective. matter of taste and preferences. and you are you, and i am i, and joe is joe. (for moderate quality low bass improvement, i have Basslink installed. it fits my needs, for $120. fits under the rear bench. no, it does not blow neighbors windows)
so, you need to set your budget - and stick to it. then, you need to determine, what is that you want. beannoyance to all the neighbors in 2 mile radius? spice up sucky factory speakers? have mp3/satellite/dvd/gps/ipod link capabilities? what is that you need and can efford? make your list, look at the pricing, compare it with your budget. pretty much, you have your answers. you will never go wrong with established brands, like kicker, jbl, pioneer. design your system, then shop around. i, personally, like scoping it on the web, then going to a local store that stocks item, and taking good look at it. how controls felel, etc. one tip for you. HEAVY speaker is a GOOD speaker. LIGHT speaker is NOT GOOD speaker. no matter what they tell you about neodim magnets, heavy magnet and solid construction will outperform any lighter one. to develop air presuure, you have to have a lot of mass to bounce off.
keep in mind, that buffles will greatly improve sound. even best attached speaker will sound not so good just in a door, as door is not a buffle. it's a cave.
consider silencing rattles - and many are there in clunckerados - with foam insulation. you can have it from homedpot for like 5 bucks, covers 4 large door panels easy. just spray it into any holes/junctions you can and smeer with spatula. great rattle dampner.
oh, sorry. if you are into LOUD music (hope you are not my neighbor's kid) - keep in mind 2 things: 1. it is never enough; 2. cochlear implants are very expensive down the road.
Old September 13th, 2008, 9:32 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks for the input. One thing i'm interested in is seeing how it would look in the car. Does anyone have a picture of the head unit in the dash?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo Systems