Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1wd, sand and a scissor jack... oigh

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1wd, sand and a scissor jack... oigh

So yesterday after work I headed down by the river to try and get a picture of the sun, river and foothills. In my 89 LB 2wd, I followed a dirt road a bit, then realized I was heading onto someone's property. So, I stopped and started to do a 20pt turn on the narrow single lane and as soon as I was at 90 degrees, it all went wrong!
Up until that point, it was just a slow process of fwd and back. Once at 90 degrees to the road's direction, I put it in reverse again...and proceeded to bury the drive wheel to the axle! All this little road was packed dirt, except this spot! It was about a 20inch area of sand. So, in the middle of no where, no tools, no nothing I had to get out... After about an hour of digging with my hands, I finally had enough room to put the scissor jack under the axle. Up comes the wheel out of the hole. Next... ROCKS!
So, off I go to find some. I haul a bunch back (6-8" rough stones) and throw them under the tire into the hole. I lowered the truck and the rocks hold the tire in place. Climbed in the truck, reversed and tried to do the slooooooow creep. No joy! The tire just spun on the rocks... It was a fantastic smokey burn out. Just didn't need that here.
So, the jack goes back under, up the wheel goes, insert my nice rubber floor mat over the rocks, let most of the air out of the tire and try again.
Finally out of the hole!!! Limped to a gas station and refilled the tire and headed home.
To really finish it off, I did all this while in my work cloths. Doh!!!!
Old February 28th, 2014, 3:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good story. That is why I carry a old folding shovel, hand saw and with other tools with me.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself to get over the frustration. Had the truck been equipped with a posi rear end, I wouldn't have been stuck. Perhaps I should make up stickers like the OG 4x4 that goes on the bed that say, 1x4?