Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Chevy Silverado 4.3 no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2012, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy Silverado 4.3 no fuel pressure

My truck was having some problems starting. I cant start it at all now. Got a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure and it reads 0 psi. I am a little suspicious of that reading. I expected it to be below 50 but not 0. I just replaced fuel filter and spark plugs.
One question the gauge that I used hooked up on top of engine towards back. There was a green cap that screwed off and gauge screwed right on. I think I got the right spot.
Any suggestions ideas would be helpful.
Old December 26th, 2012, 9:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

First you have to find out if the fuel pump is running. Check the fuses and the relay for the pump. When you first turn the key on, you should hear the pump run for a few seconds. It is not unusual for a fuel pump to fail. If you do it yourself, only buy a Delco or Delphi pomp. These seem to hold up better than the other brands.

Last edited by oldchevy; December 28th, 2012 at 6:49 AM.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by tiljc
My truck was having some problems starting. I cant start it at all now. Got a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure and it reads 0 psi. I am a little suspicious of that reading. I expected it to be below 50 but not 0. I just replaced fuel filter and spark plugs.
One question the gauge that I used hooked up on top of engine towards back. There was a green cap that screwed off and gauge screwed right on. I think I got the right spot.
Any suggestions ideas would be helpful.
lol...that green cap is the evap service port. Take the plastic engine cover off the top of the engine. You then need to find the metal fuel rail and locate the black plastic cap. The big plastic caps are the a/c ports and won't be threaded. You need to find the black cap with external threads. Remove the cap and there will be a valve core (similar to a tire valve stem). connect your fuel pressure gauge there

Last edited by tech2; December 26th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for response. I can hear the pump running after I turn key on. Is it possible for it to turn on and still read 0 psi? Just so you know this has been a gradual deal where my truck was having a a hard time starting in the morning then after a few hours then not at all. I replaced fuel filter at first sign of problems. It tries to start is getting spark air filter clean. I am stumped
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I feel stupid now Is it by the throttle body?
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post a pic of the left top part of the intake manifold. there will be a shiny tube which is the fuel rail. the connection is part of the rail.
Old December 27th, 2012, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I found the connection for the fuel pressure gauge. I hooked it up and turned key on and tried to start truck. The reading was 0 psi. I tried cycling the pump by turning it off and on a few times. Still no pressure at all. I still did not trust the reading so I decided to disconnect the fuel line just past the tank and before the fuel filter. I recieved a reading of 48 psi after cycling pump about 20 times. From what I understand I need at least 50 psi to start truck. I assume that the reading is stronger just past the pump than it is all the way to the engine. Looks like pump is weak and needs to be replaced??
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Also, if I need to replace pump is it in the tank?
I think if it is I am going to cut the bed and make a hatch.
Thank you
Old December 27th, 2012, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Yes your pump is in the tank and you will have to drop your tank to replace it. You'll also probably want to replace your fuel filter along with it as well. I think the manual says to replace it the filter every 30,000 miles or so. for me it's (02 silverado) underneath the driver side and is fairly easy to get to.
Old December 27th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I plan on cutting the bed to expose the pump. Anybody have any info that would help me do that? 2000 silverado 4.3 truck
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tiljc
Thanks for the info. I plan on cutting the bed to expose the pump. Anybody have any info that would help me do that? 2000 silverado 4.3 truck
Why would you HACK the truck up? Either unbolt the bed and slide it out of the way or remove the fuel tank. Neither are very hard to do

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado 4.3 no fuel pressure