Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Silverado Transmission problems, 4L60E, 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 10:24 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado Transmission problems, 4L60E, 5.3L

Hello everyone. I have just recently been troubleshooting/diagnosing a transmission problem with my 2000 Silverado Z71, Ext. Cab, 5.3L, 4x4. Out of nowhere, my transmission began dropping out of first gear while sitting at a stop light, or just not engage in first gear from Park. I had the transmission rebuilt about 2k miles ago so I was thinking I was experiencing some fallout from that rebuild. I was able to manually shift the transmission and eventually shift to OD while on the highway, however, it wouldn't stay in either 1st or 2nd gear at lower speeds. My fluid was clean, bright red and with no burnt smell. I did many hours of research on the internet regarding this type of issue. I found some information that lead me in several different directions. Anything from changing out my brake switch, to completely rebuilding the transmission.

From the recent rebuild, I knew the valve body hadn't been touched. So I ordered a wiring harness and solenoid kit. I replaced all the electronics hoping this would correct the problem. Well it didn't. Frustrated and tired of thinking about this, I did one more internet search and found a little information about the MAF and MAP sensors.

The information I found just mentioned that a faulty MAF or MAP sensor can cause all kinds of drivability issues. I figured I had nothing to lose. So I disconnected the MAF sensor and started my truck. It seemed to run a little smoother. I shifted the transmission into reverse with success. Then the real test, I shifted it into Drive. Amazingly, the transmission engaged. I could feel the transmission catch and when the brake was released the truck would move forward like it should. I took the truck for a drive and the transmission seemed to perform like normal. And all I did was disconnect the MAF sensor. I have ordered a new one. Obviously I have a faulty MAF sensor.

The take home message here is PLEASE EVERYONE, IF YOU ARE HAVING STRANGE TRANSMISSION ISSUES OR OTHER STRANGE DRIVABILITY ISSUES, CHECK YOUR MAF SENSOR. This could save you a ton of time, aggravation, and money.

Sorry for such a long posting. Just wanted everyone to know what I discovered. I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding this topic.

Thanks.

Don