Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 2500hd - muffler enhancement

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2013, 10:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 2500hd - muffler enhancement

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500hd and i am looking to get more sound out of my muffler as it is quite quiet now. What are some very cheap ways to boost the sound? I am looking to get the Cherry Bomb glasspack. but i dont know what size i would need to get.. and the muffler on my truck is very twisty and turny so i dont know what size to get for maximum sound. Most of them i have seen pics of are in the middle of the pipe. would it be ok to attach it at the end of the muffler? or is there any other LEGAL ways to make your truck louder?
Old November 19th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

When my 2 into 1 oem muffler rusted out I had two cherry bombs put on and run to the back out each side... sounds great. Maybe straight out the back would be a little louder. I'm pretty sure mine were 2.5" in/out diameter and they were both welded in after the cats so still legal enough for PA.
Old November 19th, 2013, 6:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Was it the same model of truck as mine? do you know where i can find regulations for Texas?
Old November 19th, 2013, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevy-guy3
Was it the same model of truck as mine? do you know where i can find regulations for Texas?
I doubt Texas even has much to say about it... you don't have yearly vehicle inspections do you? Usually you're good as long as there's a muffler (cherry bomb is one) and cats.

My truck is a 03 2500hd 4x4 regular cab long bed and I have seen it done previously on a extended cab short bed in the same manner.
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

we actually do have yearly inspections. awesome i am leaving the cats alone and i just want to add a cherry bomb glasspack to the tail pipe for the extra noise. mine is standard cab with an extended bed. does it require any welding?
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

we actually do have yearly inspections. awesome i am leaving the cats alone and i just want to add a cherry bomb glasspack to the tail pipe for the extra noise. mine is standard cab with an extended bed. does it require any welding?
It could be done without welding I guess... I had an exhaust shop do mine. They did an awful job at the welding (I was under it 4 times welding their mistakes shut), but I don't have a pile of 2.5" pipe sitting around or an exhaust bender. You are replacing your old muffler right?
Old December 4th, 2013, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I have no clue.. do i NEED to replace it?
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

I have no clue.. do i NEED to replace it?

Are you serious?
Old December 8th, 2013, 4:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I will take that as a yes.....
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can look them up on the Internet, but...

Levels may vary from city to city. I'd bet they are going to average out at about 65db (day time) for residential. And, if someone is going to complain, residential is the place they'd probably do it. So if you're careful about where you stomp on the throttle, you'll probably be ok.

Not a whole lot of Cops carry a Decibel Meter around with them anyway.

Here's some general regs for Houston...
NPC Law Library: Houston TX Noise Ordinance

Last edited by SWHouston; December 9th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 2500hd - muffler enhancement