Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Chevrolet 5.3 problems

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevrolet 5.3 problems

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.3 l start it in the morning and it idles real high and runs real shotty then it will sound like it's running off a couple cylinders and will sometimes shut off if it doesn't shut off it will idle real high again ounce it warms up its fine and the service engine soon light will come on for a while then shut off any ideas please help thanks
Old February 3rd, 2014, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problems... Also threw out these DTC's today:
P0171
P0174
P0300
P0405
P0463
P1122

Anyone out there with any ideas? Could it be something as simple as the O2 sensor? Maybe the throttle position sensor is going?
Old February 4th, 2014, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Been doing some research first going to try the most obvious answer and switch out the fuel filter. I'm seriously thinking about the fuel pressure regulator as being at fault. Did a visual inspection and could not see any wiring harness' that were accidentally melted so figure that's the next best thing before getting to the nitty gritty.
Old February 8th, 2014, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issues with my 2001. Have you fixed the problem or have any good leads? Please let me know.
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

This is what happened at least for me. I ended up changing out the fuel pressure regulator, which probably needed it anyway and had little effect. It very well could be the case is some instances though, I started getting a knocking in my engine and since I don't really have the time or space all the time I knew I had to take it in with the knocking. Turns out it was my plug wires sonofa#!%&^. I had just replaced everything last year, but I should've known that autozone would not give me the best products unless specified and I was in a bind to get them because I had to change my plugs and I ended up breaking a plug wire anyway. So my mechanic changed them out for me and also cleaned the throttle body. The biggest annoyance is just not knowing, but the difference between trying to figure it out with limited time and space could've been blown gaskets or seals. Hope this helps.

On a side note, for awhile I had a low fuel message in me message center with a dip in the fuel gauge even after filling up, this wasn't a major part of the problem but my sending unit was definitely defunct and that meant the pump is going to go, so I had that changed as well.
Old February 10th, 2014, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Theprofessor_18. My plug wires are fairly new but they are from Autozone also. My fuel pump is less than a year old and I also replaced the filter. Did the wires solve the issue with the codes? I am also getting the p0171 code but only when its warm and with no drivability issues. When its cold I get no codes at all. Its has me puzzled??????????
Old February 11th, 2014, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

The Wires definitely solved the issue, though I'm sure the throttle body service helped, you should be able to do that yourself as well...if you're throwing a lean code after its warmed up you might want to clean/replace your air filter (depending one what you have) if you have the K&N like I do I try and go light on the filter oil, if you clean the filter might want to clean the O2 sensor as well. You can pick up specialized cleaner for it at any auto parts store.