Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

1997 Silverado Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Silverado Brake Light Problem

Hi guys,

I have a problem with the brake lights. The rear brake lights only work intermittently, but the hi-mount one on top of the cab always works like it should. The other lights at the back - signals, hazards, park & reverse - all work as they should all the time so its not the ground. There's a chance the brake lights may work sometimes for a 20-30 mile drive and then quit working indicating some electrical component (like a relay?) heating up. It has trailer wiring, but I've unplugged and replugged the 2 plugs under the bumper in case they were dirty/corroded - no sign of either. I tapped/banged/cycled the multi-function switch (turn signal lever) a few times and that does not get them working. Today they didn't work even the first time I checked them before I even started the truck. I took out the brake light relay after a couple of short trips to see if the parts store could match it up if necessary (they can - $18) and also to check the Aux "A" 30 amp fuse (it was good). I always check the brake lights with the park brake OFF.

So, anybody experienced anything like this - or even heard of it?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old June 24th, 2010, 3:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a wire is intermitently grounding out causing the lights not to work.
I had the same problem except it was for my 3rd brake light above the back window.
a guy I know ran new wires to the fixture and it fixed the problem.
Old June 24th, 2010, 6:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The high mount always works the replace the turn signal switch (multi function). 99.9% of the time that is the problem and that is the exact symptom.
Old June 25th, 2010, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys. I don't know what I dread most - the intermittent wire problem to trace or the crazy-expensive multi-function switch. Is there a way to confirm the switch is at fault before buying the replacement?

So, not likely to be the $18 relay? Everybody needs a straw to grasp onto.
Old June 25th, 2010, 6:55 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a service manual look at the wiring diagrams, use a test light and check the ins and outs of the switch.
Old June 27th, 2010, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

The bulb housing inside the taillight assembly on that generation is notorious for bad connections. I've seen many of them act the way you describe, and I've repaired a few, but it's a pain in the rear and much easier to simply replace. If you remove that housing and wiggle the bulbs while someone is pushing the brake pedal, see if the bulb flickers. If so, replace the bulb housing.
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a 97 ck1500 and have experienced many problems with the tail lights. Because I tow a trailer a lot I always assumed it was the result of bad or intermittent wiring.

Take apart both light assemblies and check the connection between bulb and connector. You might need to jimmy the copper wire a bit on the bulb to get better connection within the inner light assembly.

I understand your frustration but this was the reason for my lighting problems. After jimmying the inner connection the problems rarely happened. Last year I bought a new set of tail lights and haven't seen the issue since.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the replies. As far as the tail light CB's go, is it likely that both would fail at exactly the same time and come back to life at exactly the same time? I ask because this is exactly how it happens.

Cheers
Old June 1st, 2012, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Having problems with brake lights not working. However if I push the lever on my trailer brake they come on. any ideas?
Old August 3rd, 2017, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply;following

Originally Posted by slovcan
Hi guys,

I have a problem with the brake lights. The rear brake lights only work intermittently, but the hi-mount one on top of the cab always works like it should. The other lights at the back - signals, hazards, park & reverse - all work as they should all the time so its not the ground. There's a chance the brake lights may work sometimes for a 20-30 mile drive and then quit working indicating some electrical component (like a relay?) heating up. It has trailer wiring, but I've unplugged and replugged the 2 plugs under the bumper in case they were dirty/corroded - no sign of either. I tapped/banged/cycled the multi-function switch (turn signal lever) a few times and that does not get them working. Today they didn't work even the first time I checked them before I even started the truck. I took out the brake light relay after a couple of short trips to see if the parts store could match it up if necessary (they can - $18) and also to check the Aux "A" 30 amp fuse (it was good). I always check the brake lights with the park brake OFF.

So, anybody experienced anything like this - or even heard of it?

Thanks,
Glenn
Hello I am having the exact same problem with my 98, i have not solved it yet have you

Quick Reply: 1997 Silverado Brake Light Problem