Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 silverado wont start first crank

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 silverado wont start first crank

Im new here and I had a question about my 01 Silverado. For years now Ive had this truck and it does not start on the first try. More like 3-5 tries. I have been told it is my fuel pump and I have not done that yet cause of how expensive it is. But I just read another thread about someone having a similar problem and people suggested fuel injectors.

Any help would be great.
Old July 8th, 2013, 7:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you might just have a bad/weak fuel pump. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications. But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be checked before replacing the pump. Fuel pressure testing is frequently overlooked, but it is one of the common causes of poor performance and hard/no start conditions. If you do need to replace your fuel pump this site looks like it has cheap prices, free shipping and great reviews. Fuel Pump from Buy Auto Parts. Free Shipping on Fuel Pumps.

Last edited by Jeff Collision; July 8th, 2013 at 7:24 AM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 7:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

It is more likely that the check valve in the fuel pump assembly is bad. My truck did the same thing and I added an inline check valve in the fuel line near the fuel tank and that solved my problem. i bought the check valve on Ebay and I needed some fuel injected rated fuel line and some hose clamps. Total cost was about $15.00 and I did the installation.
Old July 8th, 2013, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jeff Collision
It sounds like you might just have a bad/weak fuel pump. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications. But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be checked before replacing the pump. Fuel pressure testing is frequently overlooked, but it is one of the common causes of poor performance and hard/no start conditions. If you do need to replace your fuel pump this site looks like it has cheap prices, free shipping and great reviews. Fuel Pump from Buy Auto Parts. Free Shipping on Fuel Pumps.
Thanks for the reply
I checked that site it seems like they don't have one for my truck. Do you know about how much my pump would be. Would changing the pump be something easy enough for me to do. Ive been quoted about 700 for the job but if its not so difficult I would try it. Also is there a way for me check for a plugged filter or pinched line? If the pump was broken would the truck even start at all?
Old July 8th, 2013, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It is more likely that the check valve in the fuel pump assembly is bad. My truck did the same thing and I added an inline check valve in the fuel line near the fuel tank and that solved my problem. i bought the check valve on Ebay and I needed some fuel injected rated fuel line and some hose clamps. Total cost was about $15.00 and I did the installation.
I will certainly look into this. I would love it if it were this cheap! Could you tell me all of the exact parts for this?

Last edited by 338mag; July 8th, 2013 at 3:21 PM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Before you check those other options look at your fuel regulator. Its round and sits on top of your fuel rail on the drivers side. they do cost around fourty dollars.
Old July 12th, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by otto11
Before you check those other options look at your fuel regulator. Its round and sits on top of your fuel rail on the drivers side. they do cost around fourty dollars.

Plus One....
Old July 13th, 2013, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

I also did forget to mention that the gauge inside the cab does not work. I don't know if that changes anything?
Old October 12th, 2016, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

I too had this problem for the 7 years I have had this truck. At first I thought it was normal for this model until I had the brakes replaced and the mechanic couldn't get it started. I told him it's always been like that, but he informed me that they start these trucks in the brake shop every day and he has not seen this condition.
This really got me thinking. I came here and read about what you guys were saying about this and it confirmed to me that something was amiss.
I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge both key on and running and that was to spec. It indicated fuel pump OK. Next I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. That did not help. My next choice was to replace the fuel pump relay in the engine bay fuse box. I pulled it out to examine it and write down the part number. When I went to stick it back in it's socket I looked at the diagram under the lid of the box, and it was installed UPSIDE DOWN! I got out my DVM and confirmed the functions of all four pins, and it confirmed their operation was correct and the relay had been installed upside down. I reinstalled it according to the diagram in the box cover and the truck now starts normally for the first time in 7 years! I hope this adventure will help some of you who are experiencing this same problem.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed!

Thanks sparky Joe! Solved my problem. Idk why it should make a difference but it did!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 silverado wont start first crank