Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2002 2500HD Transmission problems

Old February 8th, 2010, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 2500HD Transmission problems

Any ideas welcome, here's my situation. *long but detailed*

Background: 2002 2500HD CC 4x4 6.0 4L80E I'm the original owner (Texas). These last two years I now drive around 100+ miles a day and every so often tow a JD skid steer around local town short distances between jobs.

Around 120k reverse only starts to go out. All forward works fine. Reverse shuttered with acceleration. a month or so later no reverse at all. All forward works perfect NO issues. Temp usually around 150* or so. A month or so later I buy a Service Replacement Transmission from GM. Didn't want to mess with rebuild, and liked the warranty (glad I did).

New trans installed and works fine for a few days. Then starts hard shifting. Like a big shift kit. Jerks me back in the seat each shift. Esp 1-2 2-3. They tell me new trans/PCM etc need to "learn" etc. So I keep going a few weeks. Some days more than others shifts HARD when cold, or hot, immediately or after long day. I drive over 100miles a day minimum. Then starts slipping or over-revving at shifts. Not wanting to go into O/D unless I accelerate a little extra. So I take it to dealer. They say trans is toast, fluid burned etc.
They pull trans and rebuild. They found a bad internal seal causing pressure problems or something like that (I have the details if needed) They mention could be a possible PCM problem causing the trans to not shift properly and burn up.

Get truck back and with in a few days repeat same problems as above. Take it back to dealer and they pull it again. Same issues, burned fluid, etc. This time they say there is code '0730 Incorrect PCM' so I have PCM replaced. They rebuild the transmission again (I have details if needed) & Replaced torque converter (turned blue on clutch side) Temp on OEM guage never crossed over 200.

Well I got it back last Friday, and didn't drive over the weekend. But today heading out to work I noticed it over-reved the shifts a little. (Hard to explain, but seemed to rev higher than it should then slid into gear. Smooth, almost too smooth. Drove around all day and seemed ok. On way home the shifts from 1-2 were firm. 2-3 medium. 3-4 fine. Not as bad as before but definately not like they were the first 7 years I had the truck. Wondering if problem is starting over again!!

I'll see how it is tomorrow, but I guess I need to call the dealer again. Frustrating!
The Transmission is covered under warranty. Of course I lose days of work and the PCM was a few hundred. Maybe they need to just try ANOTHER serta transmission?

Thanks!

Last edited by knuts; February 8th, 2010 at 7:59 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
CF Junior Member

kickdown cable if its not adjusted right or not the right cable will fry a trans and give very hard shifts and if the pcm was saying incorrect pcm that doesnt mean its blown means that the wrong pcm was put in or wrong trans or a wrong sensor and also theres a tcm trans control module
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

It's all electronic. They put a new "serta replacement" trans in and it is back to normal. No charge. I guess the one I bought (from GM) was just a bad one, that they kept trying to put a band-aid on. Glad I went with the GM trans with warranty.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 4:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed. I didn't know what to tell ya to help ya.
Old April 7th, 2010, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f-bodyfreak
kickdown cable if its not adjusted right or not the right cable will fry a trans and give very hard shifts and if the pcm was saying incorrect pcm that doesnt mean its blown means that the wrong pcm was put in or wrong trans or a wrong sensor and also theres a tcm trans control module
No kickdown cable on 2002 its all electric