Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 Cheyenne Exhaust Job

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2008, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Cheyenne Exhaust Job

Ok me and a buddy are looking to mod my exhaust on my 98Cheyenne V8-5.0L, now Iknow theresmay be a fewdumb questions here but im new at this type of thing. What I am thinking is cut the exhaust pipe 3-4" before the stock muffler and throw a Flowmaster 40 Series Dual chamb. with a 3-3.5" pipe out the back in place of where the existing pepe and muffler are, using the same hangers as I have now.

Questions

1) Im looking for a throaty growl and not worried about inside noise for the most part, I liked the sound of my old camaro and am looking for something louder, not obnoxious but loud. Will the flowmaster 40 I mentioned do the trick or is there a better muffler out there? Opinoins pls.

2) Im not worried about my O2 sensor as its near the heads but how will the backpressure be affected and will it be critical?

3) In my opinion,HP is a second pro to an exhaust kit compared tosound, what kind of performance increase will I see? Not alot im sure but anything noticable?

4) Finally, I chose the easiest way to make a louder truck, but would it be worth it to cut all the way up to just before the Cat Conv rather than leave it there? Whats the benefits of having nothing but muffler (besides the scrap metal in Cats I know itd be a big pain in the butt to do but if its drastically worth it... Ill give it some thought.

Thanks for your guys' time and im open to any experiences, problems or opinions since im very new to this type of thing.

Kalen
Old October 21st, 2008, 1:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Cheyenne Exhaust Job

I put a FlowMaster 44 (2.5" inlet & outlet slipped right on the existing exhaust system, and bolted down) on my 2001 Silverado (5.3 ltr),it sounds great, and I picked a few MPG's as well. No OBD II codes as of a month ago, and maintained the existing exhaust mounts (still debating on whether to reinstall the muffler heat shield or not). [8D]