Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2002 Electronic Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2007, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Electronic Ride Control

Can anyone point me to a diagram of the electronic ride control for an 02 Silverado. I notice when i purchased the truck (which i love) that it had the option but it doesn't seem to work. No big deal at the time but now i have a camper and it would be nice to have the option back in tact. I was wondering if someone has just replaced the original shocks with after market shocks to disable this option or if there isa problem.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 4:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Electronic Ride Control

Does the indicator illuminate when the button is in the "Firm" position?

Also, inspect the SEO IGN fuse to see if it is burned out.

Have you crawled underneath the truck to see if there are wires going into the shocks?
This would be an indication that they are the stock Selectable Ride shock absorbers.

Let me know and I will help you further if needed.

Dave
Old July 5th, 2007, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

When you press the switch the Firm indicator lights. But when you release it, it goes out. I did look at the shocks yesterday and they are made by Delphi and they do have wires that connect to them. Is it possible that is is just a switch problem, and is therea way to test the system to see if it works when the indicator is lit?
Old July 5th, 2007, 8:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Here's what I got for the wiring diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7850/B4333180F4AE45ED831E1BBA13C1F833.gif[/IMG]
Old July 5th, 2007, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

So if i am reading this schematicright, that means that all four shocks have this cababilty. I wasn't aware of that. In that case, can you tell me why the front of my truck sits significantly lower than the rear. Are the shocks air shocks or are they the magnetic shocks? If they are magnetic then is it safe to say that they front shocks could be worn out? If you replace the front with gas charged non magnetic would the system still work?

Sorry for all the questions but i can't wrap my head around this because i really don't know how these shocks work...mechanically. I can understand the Autoride where they inflated with air, but if these are magnetic???
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't have that type of suspension on my truck.Theinfo I'm posting is from the GM service manual. You might want to ask Dave (ZX1100F1) for his help. He's helped me with the ambient light sensor a ways back. (I'll have to get back to him on it....I got a work around that worked)

Here's the description;

Selectable Ride Description and Operation
The selectable ride (SR) suspension system allows the driver to choose between 2 distinct damping levels, firm and normal.
The SR dampers are gas charged units which provide damping by forcing hydraulic fluid through internal orifices within each shock in order to resist suspension movement. Each shock contains an internal solenoid actuator that the SR switch controls. This solenoid actuator controls the size of the orifice that the hydraulic fluid is forced through, thus altering the ride characteristics of the vehicle.
Voltage is supplied to the switch via the ignition1 voltage circuit from the SEO IGN Fuse. When the system is on, the voltage is supplied to terminal A of each shock providing firmer damping. Ground is supplied to terminalB of each shock.

I can get you the diagnostic and procedures checklist if you think it'll help.
Let me know
Old July 5th, 2007, 3:23 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nummy,
You say that when you press the switch the light comes on and when you release it the light goes out.
This how it should work assuming that I am not misunderstanding you, do you have to physically hold the button in for the light to stay on?
Or do you push it once and the light stays on then push it again the light goes out?

There is a distinct possibility that your ride control system is working as designed, your system simply changes the damping of your shock absorbers, it does nothing for ride height.

The change made to the ride quality when you push the button is not very noticeable but you may feel a slightly firmer ride when the light is on, although most people cannot detect any ride difference.

The best way to check them is to get a stethoscope and put it against each shock while someone in the cap pushes the button, you should here the solenoid engage and release.
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

I know this an old thread , but for anyone else out there that wants to know , the button is supposed to stay in when pushed in and the light stays on , your ride control will work and stiffen the shocks and the ride if you were to hold the button on the dash in , the button is kind of cheaply made and ( i have taken mine apart a few times ) has a plastic peice that is supposed to hook and keep the button in , thus the ride control is ON push it again it unhooks and it is OFF ...........so ,, no need for a wireing scematic . just fix the button or order a new one from gm , however its my understanding that most dealers havent even heard of the zx3 option . i have had a few bright **** tell me i made it up ....lol

not sure if i can post pics as a new user , but i,ll take a few pics of my button apart and try and post them .
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!! If you need to, you use www.photobucket.com to post pics (its free). Photo bucket will let you upload pics to their website and give you a couple of url's to use (copy and paste), you use the second one "direct link" so people can only view the pic not the whole album. like this:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...scamera318.jpg
Old February 22nd, 2008, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

thanks , yes i have used photo bucket before , however some forums dont allow links or anything from a new user . if they post heres the pics of the button apart . the hook part is missing in mine but you will get the point if you look closely .

Quick Reply: 2002 Electronic Ride Control