Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2003 2500HD - Install a Carb?

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2013, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2500HD - Install a Carb?

I'm didn't see a advanced tech section on this forum so I guess here might be a place for it...

Has anyone here had any experience with the conversion of one of these trucks to a carburetor rather than fuel injection? I've recently started having trouble with the 'reduced engine power' code and the engine cutting clear down because of some mysterious electronic gremlin that seems somewhat common on these trucks. Never heard of such a thing until it happened to me, but searching online I have now found many examples of people replacing sensor after sensor, chasing wires, shorts, grounds, and paying dealerships thousands of dollars to sort out a computer system I really don't even want on my truck.

I understand the 4L80 is most likely wired to the engine in some overly complicated way so a transmission swap/retrofit might be necessary. I was looking online and see plenty of stories in hotrod and other car magazines about building up these 6.0L engines with a carb.. so the parts are out there.

Anyone done it? Know someone who has?

Also, I'm new here so I'm not sure how it goes.. but in other forums I would expect to be told over and over about the legalities of such a thing, inspections, emissions, etc... I'm aware of those things and understand the risks so don't waste your time please.