Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2003 Chevy 2500HD, Unknown sound when accelerating!

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Chevy 2500HD, Unknown sound when accelerating!

Hey yall!

My truck drives perfect, 4wd pulls and shifts like its suppose to and I take alot of care of my vehicle buuuuut.... I have a NOISE! No one i'v talked to knows what it is. I haven't found anything online about it and have tested most of my truck components besides tearing into my Diffs, Transfer or Tranny.

So anyways... When i start my truck up and take off out my drive way there is no noise of any sort but maybe 5 minutes into a trip say i stop at a stop sign then take off I will hear this sound which comes from somewhere behind me from under the truck that sounds like a "Wrong Anwser buzzer on a gameshow" grinding/ maybe vibrating sound that depending on how hard i hit the gas will last for a second or up to 8 or more seconds before it goes away. While driving at any speed on the road if i let off the accelerator and then reapply it depending on how long I let off and slow down and the reaplly the acceloratror sound will come back for a moment and then go away and sometimes it will last for a good 15 seconds while just driving on regular road that has gradual slopes or hills and flat land. I have no reduced engine power or pulling power or anything. I dont know if anything is being damaged but it has been like this for 3 months and nothing has failed or broke yet...YET... And i dont want it to happen!

I have tested to see if the sound on happens when i accelorate and it does. I can literally get up to 45 MPH then let of the gas and then tap it and let off and tap it and let off and tap it and let off in rapid succesion and everytime you will hear this sound

If my explaination of the sound doesn't make since look up an iconic wrong awnser or times up buzzer for a game show then in your head tone it down and stretch out the sound as if it was a grinding kinda noise and thats what it sounds like...

Iv been a Mechanic for my entire life and have rebuilt Trannys, transfers, engines differentials, power steering pumps and steering gears and much much more but for the life of me I cannot figure out if this is a problem or if its just some "regular GM" sound... I do know that it is an annoying sound and just want to solve the problem