Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2003 silverado 5.3 L failure to co operate in 2 parts

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2015, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 silverado 5.3 L failure to co operate in 2 parts

Part 1: Everything is fine as long as I don't lift my foot off the accelerator, when I do I get a rough idle or no idle and the motor just stalls. No engine warning light so no codes. A mechanic looked up the problem as he thought he saw a bulletin on this issue. It said rough idle or stalls can be caused by a dirty throttle body and or sensors so contained. That the repair can only be done by the dealer as the computer would need to be re programmed. So I thought I'd try cleaning it out myself with a toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner. I have the tools but haven't done anything yet. Anyone ever experience this issue? How did you cope with it? I wonder if a mouse got in the air cleaner again?

Part 2: The radio just shuts itself off, then turns itself back on again. Sometimes it happens a lot sometimes very little. It can happen when we're just rolling along, maybe hitting a minor bump or it can happen when I dim or raise the headlights. Could be as simple as a loose fuse I suppose, but it's weird. I hope a mouse didn't start gnawing on the wiring.
The cats are keeping the population down, but there's only 2 of them.
Old January 4th, 2016, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

205 looks and no suggestions, I guess I'm up against it. Well thanks for looking anyway
Old January 4th, 2016, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

Just an opinion but I'm assuming the majority of the views on any post here are from google or other people having related issues looking for answers not necessarily people trying to help or having anything to offer...just my thoughts...that being said I find it hard to believe the engine stalls but you don't have any codes. Check for codes, check fuel pressure and volume and we'll go from there.

Your second issue sounds like an intermittent connection or wiring issue...no way to really help through a computer other than to tell you to check the power and ground circuits preferably while the problem is happening.
Old January 4th, 2016, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default No codes

I appreciate your response and can assure you that at least there is no "check engine" light on and without the light on both a regular garage that I have been going to since 1970 and auto zone said there was no point of trying to download any codes because there won't be any. Today I cleaned a very dirty throttle body, along with the ATC, which is fairly new, Hopefully this is all there is to it but won't know until I drive it enough to get it warmed up so that the idle drops to it's normal idling RPM. The increased rpms at start up are enough to keep it running. Adding the LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER improved the situation somewhat.
Old January 4th, 2016, 7:29 PM
CF Veteran

anytime you have drivability issues you need to scan it, auto zone employees are usually pretty clueless how the system operates let alone being able to diagnose anything. Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean there isn't a stored or pending code. Plus if its a full functioning scanner you can look at things like the fuel trims which are very helpful sometimes.

Sounds like possibly bad fuel but without any tests being done its still a guessing game.
Old January 5th, 2016, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
anytime you have drivability issues you need to scan it, auto zone employees are usually pretty clueless how the system operates let alone being able to diagnose anything. Just because the light isn't on doesn't mean there isn't a stored or pending code. Plus if its a full functioning scanner you can look at things like the fuel trims which are very helpful sometimes.

Sounds like possibly bad fuel but without any tests being done its still a guessing game.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get them to scan it again, meanwhile I may be able to borrow a full functioning scanner from a young man who just finished auto school and got sold a box truck full of Snap On tools. I've been collecting tools for 50 years his are better than mine.
Old January 5th, 2016, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

he'll pay 5 or 6 times more than you too, I have a very small amount of snapon tools but i'm still paying on what I did get from them. The interest on their finance contracts is ridiculous.
Old January 6th, 2016, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default snap out of it

My grandson looked into studying auto mechanics after high school but the school he would have attended had some sort of mandatory program with snap on that would have put him $30,000 in debt for tools. We all decided that for what he could earn it wasn't a very good deal. So now he's studying to be a personal trainer. Cleaner in any case.
Old February 9th, 2016, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default Problem solved

Shuld have written sooner but better late. I never did have the computer checked as local guys with diagnostic tools refused due to lack of "check engine" light not being on. Told them what folks here said about the code might be there even if the light isn't on but they just wouldn't listen. So I bought a can of throttle cleaner and went after the body with a toothbrush. Pretty dirty but am still surprised that that's all it was, a film of black all around. I didn't completely remove the body from the truck but was able to lay it on it's back in a shallow pan while it was being cleaned. I was told that if that didn't work to try a new water temperature sensor, but didn't have to go that far. So thanks all who read this post and or responded.
Old February 9th, 2016, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

i would first change throttle body sensor