Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PLEASE HELP ME add aftermarket subs & amp to a 2008 Silverado w/ Bose

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE HELP ME add aftermarket subs & amp to a 2008 Silverado w/ Bose

I've read so many different things, I just wanted to create my very own first post to this site. Someone please help! I have an 08 Silverado quad cab 2500HD with Bose system. I want to add an aftermarket amp and subs but KEEP all my factory deck, door speakers, etc. (No worries on location, as I have that part mastered) I removed this system from my 96 Silverado, and all I had to do there was tap the rear speakers with a LOC (line output converter) to get some RCA power, run the RCA to my amp, hook up the hot, ground, and remote, and BAM, I was done. However, I've read with all the new technology and the Bose system, door chimes, etc, that I cannot do that in this truck. I have read I can tap in to the Bose sub-woofer wires under the center console to get my RCAs. I've read I can buy a harness for plug & play. I've read so much, would one of you professional installers PLEASE tell me the best and least costly way to do this? All I need to know is where to attach my LOC or basically get my RCA power for my amp & everything thats factory still work properly. I am using a Rockford Fosgate amp that has its own remote bass gain control, if that helps any, as I've heard this is a plus, because of the factory system automatically changing the bass levels as you turn up the volume. Any help is appreciated greatly! Thank you very much & I hope this site kicks major ***!
The following users liked this post:
559jlv (May 30th, 2021)
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not hard you can do it the same way with the line level converter. You need to tap into a rear speaker.

This first link is for an add an amp converter. The last line says for adding a single channel amp for a subwoofer only you do not need a converter adapter .

AOEM-GM1416 2006-2010 GM LAN Radio Add-an-Amp Line Output Converter

The second link is a video on someone doing an install of subwoofer on a 2008 Sierra with Bose around 4 minutes in the video it shows you the easiest place to tap into it. The video looks like a professional installer.

Old August 15th, 2012, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the reply MDTAHOE. Couple questions. Are you saying I do or do not need that "add an amp converter" you showed me in the first link? I didn't see the guy in the youtube video use one. Looks like he used a basic LOC just like I already have. And also, I noticed he only tapped in to 1 side of the rear speakers. Isn't it best to tap into both sides?
Old August 15th, 2012, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need is a basic LOC. How many subs are you using? Since you are only running subwoofers (1 or 2) you could only tap into one rear speaker and you would never hear a difference. But if you have the capability to use both sides of rear speakers and you want to go ahead.
Old August 16th, 2012, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

I'm just using 1 amp and 2 subs. Simple set up. I've worked with car stereos & things all my life, and what you're telling me to do is exactly what I planned to do, UNTIL I started reading stuff online about all the new technology with the Bose systems, factory amps & sub, etc. However, I never dreamed I wouldn't have to pull the factory deck out. I am loving this idea of getting RCA power right there under the cup holder. The only reason I asked about hooking to both sides of the rear speakers was because I had read somewhere that its a must. lol There's so many different stories!