Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado 1500 Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado 1500 Electrical Problem

For a year or so now my truck has been acting up intermittently. The abs and brake warning lights will come on and the radio will go off while driving. Once in a while it won't want to start, but after a few cycles of the key it would finally start. I think this would happen when it was wet or humid out. I only made the connection with it being wet or humid recently, so I can't say it was only happening then. Finally about 3 months ago it wouldn't start at all,but when I moved the fuse box under the hood (just wiggled it as I tried to take the cover off) the power came back on inside the truck. So I cleaned up the whole fuse box and all the wires around it, and since then it was perfect. Until the other day when I went to start it and it was completely dead, no power anywhere, battery dead. I saw on some posts that the Ignition switch can be an issue. I replaced it. Then after it sat a while in the driveway the dash and radio came on by itself, no keys in it, no one had touched the truck. I assume this is why it was dead the day before, before I replaced the switch. Then I got back in the truck and started it up, when I shut it off at that time the dash and radio all stayed on, just like if you had the key turned on. I pulled the neg battery cable for a while and since then it shuts off fine,but when I left it over night it was dead again. I've already got the new instrument cluster in the truck. I haven't had a chance to sit and see how long it takes for the power to come on by itself, or to get the problem to repeat while I'm there. I've got a .01 Amp power draw at the battery when the truck is turned off, and I have a few hundred Ohms of resistance across the neg and pos leads to the battery, so I don't think it's a direct short. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old January 8th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a small draw when off, there are a few things on new vehicles that draw while the truck is off, when you cleaned up the contacts before, did you use electric grease? im a big advocate of this as there wont be a problem for years at the connection it is applied to, also, go about the truck and look at all the connectors for the dash, starter and all the parts you are having problems with, clean them all and put on the grease, cheap but time consuming
Old January 18th, 2011, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed?

Well I took a friends advice and replaced the headlight switch in the dash, and it seems to have fixed my problem. Four days now and no problems!!