Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2004 Silverado 1500 suspension problem

Old July 7th, 2013, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Silverado 1500 suspension problem

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2004 Silverado 1500 LS to use as a 2nd vehicle. It has only 66k miles on it and it is in absolutely immaculate condition.

The only issue I have with the truck is with the ride quality. When driving down the road, it rides quite well, but when I encounter almost any type of rough surface, the entire truck shudders and shakes. It feels really "loose". The truck has 20" wheels that were brand new take-offs from a 2012 Silverado and the tires are brand new and have been professionally balanced.

I thought the shock absorbers might be a little tired so I just replaced them with Bilsteins. It helped a little bit, but the truck still shudders and shakes whenever I hit almost any bump in the road.

This is my first Chevrolet truck (I've owned a few Fords) so I'm looking for some advice that the Chevrolet experts might be willing to give? Could it be something as simple as suspension bushings?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2wd? Do you know if it has a levelin kit ont the front or any kind of drop on it? Usually a 2wd only 66k miles on it should ride really well. Especially with bilsteins swapped in
Old July 8th, 2013, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
2wd? Do you know if it has a levelin kit ont the front or any kind of drop on it? Usually a 2wd only 66k miles on it should ride really well. Especially with bilsteins swapped in
2 wd and no leveling kit or any kind of drop. It's completely stock with the exception of the 20" wheels/tires and the Bilsteins. The truck is absolutely immaculate in very way and I can't for the life of me figure out why it shudders so badly.
Old July 9th, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going out on a limb here....

Check the steering shaft between the rack and pinion and where it enters the Cab.

In some trucks this shaft will wear and create a "loose" feeling while going over bumps.

Easy to fix as well if that's the case.
Old July 9th, 2013, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

I have 22's and I chalked it up to week tie rods / ends. Alot more mass then stock spinning on the rims there. Or so I've been told.
Old July 10th, 2013, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
Going out on a limb here....

Check the steering shaft between the rack and pinion and where it enters the Cab.

In some trucks this shaft will wear and create a "loose" feeling while going over bumps.

Easy to fix as well if that's the case.
Thanks for the reply, but the truck's steering is rock solid. My explanation of the problem was most likely not specific enough.

When I drive over any type of even remotely rough surface, the entire suspension feels as thought it's bouncing and it causes the cab and bed of the truck to shudder and shake. I'm concerned that the 20' tires and wheels that came with the truck are too big and heavy for the suspension to handle. Could this be the issue?
Old July 11th, 2013, 7:10 PM
CF Active Member

With only 66K miles on your truck I would doubt the suspension components are worn out unless driven heavily on salted roads.

I also doubt your 20" take offs are the cause.I have 18" take offs on my truck with about the same weight and overall diameter as the 20's with over 200K miles on all original suspension(except lift spindles) and rides smooth as silk.

Put some weight in the bed,500lbs or more,and see if it makes a difference.

Report back and I will elaborate on your findings

Last edited by 67Motorcat; July 11th, 2013 at 7:14 PM.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
With only 66K miles on your truck I would doubt the suspension components are worn out unless driven heavily on salted roads.

I also doubt your 20" take offs are the cause.I have 18" take offs on my truck with about the same weight and overall diameter as the 20's with over 200K miles on all original suspension(except lift spindles) and rides smooth as silk.

Put some weight in the bed,500lbs or more,and see if it makes a difference.

Report back and I will elaborate on your findings
Thanks for the feedback. The truck has lived in Texas all its life so there's no chance that it's been exposed to salt.

I have put some weight in the bed and it does make it ride much more smoothly.

Awaiting on your report back to me!
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

I figured it would ride smoother over bumps with some weight in the bed as you experienced.

Some 99' to 06' model GM 1/2 ton trucks,especially longer wheelbase models,can have oscillations of the frame when on a rough road.

Remember that they are primarily designed to operate ideally while carrying a load up to the Gross vehicle weight.A truck with an empty bed will always "bounce" around a little on freeway expansion joints,etc.

So I would guess your Truck is operating/riding as normal.Nothing to really worry about.It will never have that "solid" feeling on a rough road say like a late model unibody Car.

It may not even feel as solid as the Ford Truck that you were used to driving.
Ford Truck frames of similar model years are much stiffer.

Starting in the 08' model year GM truck frames were completely redesigned and the torsional rigidity was increased by around 300%.

Again,unless your truck was in an accident or something,I would say it is normal and just may seem to ride different than what you are used to.

It is always good though to have a competent mechanic look over every inch on the chassis to make sure everything is as it should be.
Old July 13th, 2013, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again 67Motorcat! You're probably right about my feeling the difference between the newer Fords and the older Chevy. It's really a great truck and it's in pristine condition so I guess I'll have to learn to live with the different ride!