Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2004 silverado brake problems

Old March 19th, 2007, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 silverado brake problems

Got a 04 with 53K miles. No issues previously.

Started with a stiffer feeling brake pedal feel, not the somtimes mushie pedal people talk of.

Now the trucks brakes stay on while I am driving I can physically feel the truck being slowed down when I left off the gas, and have a burning break smell when I get to where im going, This just started happing after my brother added a little brake fluid to top off the max line mark.

What do I need to do? flush,bleed the breaks?

How do I bleed them?

Someone please help me out here Im afraid to drive this damm truck now

Nicholas

elusivez28@aol.com
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2004 silverado brake problems

im not sure how to bleed the brakes, or even if that is how you should fix the problem, but i just wanted you to know that i have an 04 2500 with the 8.1 and i have the stiffer feeling brakes too, and it does seem like it slows the truck down when i let off the gas.
Old September 14th, 2008, 2:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2004 silverado brake problems

you, probably, have several things going:
1. rusted, sticky caliper somewhere; it does not return and drags brakes.
2. master cylinder seals are swallen and do not return piston, allowing continuous pressure in the system resulting in - daaah, continuous brake drag
3. blockage in one of the brake lines, hence the hard pedal feel/ poor caliper return, resulting in - daahhh, dragging brakes.

you sure you brother added BRAKE FLUID, no something else? master seals will swell almost immediately if it has ANY machine oil in it. brake fluid is mostly alcohol and plant oil. used to be rycin oil.

anyways, bleeding helps with mooshie pedal, when you have air in the system. you have opposit.

now, here's my suggestion, and i do not have a good one for you: sounds like you are not familiar with brakes/repairs, as bleeding brakes is a very basic procedure known to any rookie mechanic. now, considering that your LIFE, and lifes of others depends on how well your brakes operate, i'd send this over to a pro shop. sorry, i am dead DIY, bu this is life threatening if not done right, so have someone who has "know how" do it for you.

i'd start with removing wheels and taking good look at rotors. one that is blue or blueish more that others - that's the one. also, wheel that is obviously hotter than the others after drive is on the bad side. from that point on, i'd start with removing caliper and overhauling it. disconnecting that side brake line and blowing it with compressed air. also, examining all brake lines for obvious damage, like bends, kinks, etc. life happens.

btw, is your parking brake fully disengaged?
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default brake problem

I have a hard peddle but the truck still keeps rolling with the peddle depressed hard the truck keeps rolling !! I just put a new master cyc and bled the brakes three times and didn't fix it . Thinking of changing the rotors the calipers and new brake pads . anyone else have this problem ? and how did you fix it. The truck has 190000 miles on it but looks new and runs strong. M