Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Made my appointmet for dual exhaust but have a few questions....

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 9:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made my appointmet for dual exhaust but have a few questions....

So I made an appointment for next week to get my dual exhaust.
Im going with a local shop (http://www.extrememotorsports.biz/index.htm).

The guy sorta answered most of my questions but I didn't want to keep him tired up on the phone.

The package he quoted me for was for the Flowmaster 40 Series. He said its the "whole package" for $375.

Im not exactly sure what the whole package means? Anyone who knows a little about this can you explain in stupid terms to me what that should include.

I know this probably isn't what they call true duals right... but I would eventually like to get true duals, so does this package sound like later on it can be adapted to be true duals? & how much would that cost vs. what im paying and getting now?

Sorry kinda new to the whole exhaust thing.
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a cat-back sysm. installed back on 4/10, payed 500.00, but 100.00 was just for s.s. tips, so i'm thinking your price will not include s.s. tips. system starts right behind cat. with one muffler with two pipes exiting to the end. don't know price for true duels, will have to have 2 cats.,2 mufflers, so i think it would cost several hundred more. i love my sysm. good luck nwith yours.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah so I guess what im getting is cat-back exhaust then.

Now how much of a performance boost will this give? I assume more of a entertainment value than performance?
Old January 9th, 2011, 1:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Sounds to me that for $375 your getting from the cat back with one exhaust. one inlet 2 out to the rear. It is for sound only. For my truck I have been doing some research on the 6.0. I don't know what your running. I found that I will be looking into something along the line of some long tube headers, some cat knock outs with true duels out the rear with some flow 40s. With a K&N, High flow MAF sensor and a Tune. We will go from there.
Old January 9th, 2011, 8:09 AM
CF Veteran

your truck may already have 2 cats on it. so putting true duals on later probably wouldnt be a problem. if your system is setup like i think it is. your system would be like this 2 headers->2 cats->y pipe to one pipe running into muffler-> one pipe exit out of cat. the system your getting is pretty much cat back. you're most likely getting a single in dual out muffler with 2 pipes exiting the rear/side of the vehicle. to get true duals... your y pipe will be eliminated and each set of headers will have its own cat and muffler. true duals in my area is fairly more expensive over the muffler/tips package. good luck. hope this clarify some things.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

s34n thanks for that info. How would I go about finding if my truck already has 2 cats? Seems that if it is set up already it may just be easier to do true duals fromt he start? This price of $375 they gave me was already about $200 lower than I thought it was going to be so maybe I dunno.....
Old January 9th, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Junior Member

(I don't know exactly how much you know about trucks/cars so if it seems like it by the simple way I'm explaining it, I'm not being rude/a jackass, just making sure you know what I'm talking about) To see if your truck has dual cats already, get under the truck right behind the front tires and look up at the block. You should be able to see the exhaust manifolds come down from each side of the engine and go into one pipe that should feed into a cat (should be a more bulbous-looking section of the pipe that tapers out a couple inches (I think mine say FLOW --> with an arrow pointing back for easy installation at the factory haha) and then taper back in to the 2 1/2 inch pipe or whatever it is. If you have two, it should have one of these on either side of the block along the exhaust pipe after the manifold, but before the Y pipe where it would feed into the muffler.

As for what all the package you're buying probably comes with, it will most likely be the muffler you want and the dual pipes that will lead out to the rear of the truck or wherever you want the pipes to exit.
Old January 9th, 2011, 9:03 PM
CF Junior Member

ZM1040, Yes thanks for explaining it like that. After checking I do believe it has two cats.

So what type of performance gain can I get from true duals?

Last edited by BayAreaChevyGuy; January 9th, 2011 at 9:06 PM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I believe all 350s have dual cats then Y pipe into a single muffler and 262s/305s have a Y pipe into a single cat continuing into a single muffler. Feel free to correct me.

Typically when an exhaust shop says 'dual exhaust' they mean 'dual exit exhaust', which is a single exhaust that either has a 1 inlet/2 outlet muffler or 1 inlet/1 outlet muffler and another Y pipe to give the illusion of a dual exhaust. That and with a price tag of only $375 with Flowmaster, I would bet a few dollars they meant 'dual exit'. If you are in doubt, just ask them!

And as far as converting it down the road to a true dual, it's pretty much going to require another complete cat-back. Routing will be different with a true dual, so basically all the after-cat piping will be wasted. The only place you will save dollars if that you already have one of the mufflers (although if its a 1 inlet/2 outlet, even it will be wasted).

I would talk to them, dish out another $150ish now and get the true duals now, otherwise you will be kicking your own *** down the road if your heart is really set on true duals..
Old January 9th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh, and I looked at the website (and again the rather cheap price tag) and I don't think the exhaust will be mandrel bent. If it's crush bent, then you are wasting your time. It doesn't matter how big of a pipe you get, your exhaust velocity will be shot with crush bends. Ask them about that aswell. If it's a single crush bent exhaust like I think it is, you are way better off just buying a pre-fabbed online and bolting it on yourself.

Quick Reply: Made my appointmet for dual exhaust but have a few questions....